Subject: [milwaukee-electric] Re: National City Lines.
From: "Ken and Tracie" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 01:20:56 -0700
List-Id: <milwaukee-electric.lists.dementia.org>

Exactly. And unfortunately, the die was cast during the mid to late 1930s. 
Economic realities and social changes aside, the region lost a great asset. 
I believe this was realized by the late 1950s when some commuters, with 
other rail alternatives, fought tooth and nail to save the doomed North 
Shore Line. There was even talk among proponents of NSL retention of doing 
away with the NSL's street running within Milwaukee and placing the rails 
into the median of  I-94, some saying it could serve as the Genesis of a new 
local rapid transit system.

One line which doesn't seem to get much recognition in retrospect was the 
Milwaukee Northern Division. I am well acquainted with the region it once 
served. Today, I would not be surprised if that line would be packed with 
commuters, even if they were commuting from Port Washington, Grafton, 
Cedarburg, Mequon to and from the North Shore suburbs.

K.

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Don L. Leistikow" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 12:21 AM
Subject: [milwaukee-electric] Re: National City Lines.

> Ken:  I've heard both arguements pro and con, on the topic of NCL behind
> the demolition of Milwaukee strretcars, et al.
>
> I've yet to fand any connection with TM and NCL.  The only possible
> connection, albeit remote, would be from of through a connection
> stemming from KMCL and its connection by or with Hammond Motor Coach.
>
> Don L.
>
>