Subject: [milwaukee-electric] Re: 1949: National City Lines conspirators are convicted.
From: Gary Schnabl <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 14:31:41 -0400
List-Id: <milwaukee-electric.lists.dementia.org>

On 3/19/2011 1:59 PM, Louis Rugani wrote:
> On this day in 1949: National City Lines conspirators are convicted.
>
> Location: United States Federal Court
>
> Following a nearly two-year court process, on March 19th, 1949 nine American corporations and seven individuals were  convicted under federal charges of one count each of conspiring to monopolize part of American trade and commerce: National City Lines (and E. Roy Fitzgerald&  Foster C. Beamsley) American City Lines, Pacific City Lines, General Motors (and H.C. Grossman)Standard Oil of California (and Henry C. Judd), Federal Engineering Corporation, Phillips Petroleum Corporation (and A.M. Hughes&  Frank B. Stradley), Firestone Tire and Rubber Company (and L.R. Jackson), and Mack (Truck) Mfg.

Are there those still blaming GM et al. for the demise of traction? 
[BTW, although GM's HQ is but five miles east from here, I have no love 
for the company and wish it to ultimately fail due to its obaminations.] 
But, come on! How serious could the conspiracy have been if the penalty 
meted out was $5000, plus $1 for every convicted person?

Traction was doomed to failure as their cities became suburbanized. 
Traction may be cheaper to run, but their capital construction costs are 
very high per mile. Buses are not serial, meaning that if a bus breaks 
down enroute, the system does not. And buses can easily be rerouted in 
case a major (or minor) fire or traffic situation ties up the ROW for 
hours or days. There can be no real denying that. Plus, most or all of 
those traction systems were broke--or getting there.

Time to let it go.
-- 

Gary Schnabl
Southwest Detroit, two miles NORTH! of Canada--Windsor, that is...

Technical Editor forum <http://TechnicalEditor.LivernoisYard.com/phpBB3/>