Subject: [milwaukee-electric] Re: 9th street
From: Gary Schnabl <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 01:18:59 -0400
List-Id: <milwaukee-electric.lists.dementia.org>

Great picture! BTW, I live on a quiet dead-end street (essentially 
abutting) Livernois Yard--the former NYC yard in Detroit. It had two 
roundhouses and a huge concrete coaling tower (still exists). My street 
is the only residential street cutting into the yard--14 houses. Once, 
it housed a stockyard too. Livernois Yard is still run by Conrail--as a 
terminal railroad, even though Conrail was sold to the Norfolk Southern 
and CSX. The yard is a few miles long, ending at the Ford Rouge plant, 
but much of it was rationalized (abandoned) during the 1970s and 1980s. 
If one were to connect the HQs of GM and Ford--about ten miles apart, 
the centerpoint of that line would almost be dead-on my place. The ROW 
for the Amtrak goes through the yard less than 1000 feet north of here, 
whose original ROW dates back to 1836 or so.
http://www.knorek.com/RR/SAA/MichiganLine/Livernois.htm
http://www.knorek.com/RR/SAA/MichiganLine/NYC_E8_WestJunctionYD.htm
http://www.knorek.com/RR/SAA/MichiganLine/DJTO.htm
http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/Stations/CountyStations/WayneStations/DetroitTerminal/LivernoisYard(MC).htm
http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/Pictures/Photos/001-005/Photo004C.htm
http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/Pictures/Photos/001-005/Photo004D.htm
http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/CoalFacilities/MCDetroit(Livernois)MI.htm
http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/Stations/CountyStations/WayneStations/DetroitTerminal/WestDetroitMI.htm
http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/Pictures/Photos/021-025/Photo022C.htm
http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/imagesRRHX/WestDetroitInterlockingDiagram1974[MarkDobronski].pdf

Was the grade level at 940 W. St. Paul lower than Hibernia or 8th 
Street? It seems that way...

And that large billboard at 8th: was that intended to be viewed by the 
train passengers?

Gary

On 3/17/2011 11:37 PM, Y Marti wrote:
> I can do better than explain:
>
> http://oldmilwaukee.net/forum/download/Tracks.jpg
>
> That is looking north and approximately in the late 1940s. The track
> goes straight until it's adjacent to the alley where it turns and
> heads east on Clybourn. The subway can be seen splitting off the main
> line to to the south. Just to be clear, the "subway" was never
> underground because it was never completed. It was built as an open
> cut and would have been covered if the funding didn't stop.
>
> Yanc

-- 

Gary Schnabl
Southwest Detroit, two miles NORTH! of Canada--Windsor, that is...

Technical Editor forum <http://TechnicalEditor.LivernoisYard.com/phpBB3/>