Subject: [milwaukee-electric] Re: 1949: National CityLines conspiratorsare convicted.
From: Gary Schnabl <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 04:58:13 -0400
List-Id: <milwaukee-electric.lists.dementia.org>

Don the Elder,
In 1995, the CNW merged into the Union Pacific, so that might suggest 
that older Rust-Belt Wisconsin is not that hot for freight anymore 
either. The Milwaukee Road disappeared eons ago. The Soo Line sometimes 
came to Madison via Freeport IL, though--unless a short line now does 
that occasional business today. However, the Soo Line is now owned by 
the Canadian National. Its Madison terminal building is now a U-Haul 
facility.

BTW, the Badger Bus took advantage of moving very near to (literally a 
very few blocks away from) the new Ho-Chunk casino outside the city 
limits of (SE) Madison, where the bankrupt water park formerly was. So, 
instead of having its former office where an older passenger rail depot 
once stood (and across the street from the former West Side Depot 
(Milwaukee Road), it now stops at the UW Memorial Union--still downtown 
and only another block or two further away from the Capitol than it was 
previously. The UW campus is only two blocks away from the old Badger 
Bus station, in case you do not know exactly where the UW campus has 
sprawled over to downtown. And then there is the Greyhound Bus depot 
just a bit east of the Capitol.

Gary

On 3/20/2011 3:08 AM, Don L. Leistikow wrote:
> Gary S and list:  My reference to the 45 plus 3 States contained the
> word 'contiguous' so limiting the count by excluding the remaining
> out-lying States and Territories.
>
> As for the proposed rail service to Madison, I disagree with the overall
> proposition.  My position is; that passenger train service to and from
> Madison, is that alone.  At this point, it has nothing to do with
> re-routing the existing Amtrak train between Chicago and Seattle.  So,
> let's concentrate on what servcie is needed between Madison and
> Milwaukee via Watertown.  Should it be a real high speed, non-stp, train
> or... should it be a local, making many stops at intermediate stations?
> The latter choice, is what we've had in the historic past.
>
> I vote for a local type of service that includes intermediate stops.
>
> As for Badger Coach service, I reached them by telephone, some time ago
> and discoverd that they no longer stop in downtown Madison as all to few
> passengers boardrd or alighted, there.  Badger Coach, goes directly to
> the UW Campus.  Sheds quite a different light on the subject, doesn't
> it?
>
> As for Amtrak's Empire Builder service, keep it on the mainline.  As
> it's only one train per day, each way, I see no need to detour via
> Madison, for a potential few patrons.  I'd rather see a Bus connection
> between Madison and Portage for those passengers.  Less expensive
> overall,
>
> Let's we forget, the C&NW once had a more direct line between Milwaukee
> and Madison.  This was the line that came out of Milwaukee via Chase
> Yard and west on the mainline via West Allis, thence west on an almost
> straight line through Waukesha,Wales, Sullivan, Jefferson and Cambridge
> to Madison.
>
> That's worthy of some thought, too !
>
> Don L.

-- 

Gary Schnabl
Southwest Detroit, two miles NORTH! of Canada--Windsor, that is...

Technical Editor forum <http://TechnicalEditor.LivernoisYard.com/phpBB3/>