Subject: [milwaukee-electric] Oldest custard stand
From: Gary Schnabl <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 22:05:31 -0400
List-Id: <milwaukee-electric.lists.dementia.org>

I tried to do a web search to see if there might be some useful 
information about Milwaukee's oldest custard stand. Came up with nothing 
much.
 From my recollections of the 1940s and 1950s, those mom-and-pop stands 
were sited about every mile or closer. For me, one in the 2700 block of 
Capitol was 15 blocks from home, but one in the 4300 block was only a 
block away. So, my parents would go there or have me walk over and get 
some deep-fried fish, fries, ribs, chicken, phosphates, and stuff--even 
custard--on Fridays, etc.

The Wikipedia mentions that a custard stand on Coney Island was the 
first such custard stand in 1919. Seeing that frozen custard was so 
plentiful in my youth, there must have been a stand predating 1919 in 
Milwaukee.

Gary
-- 

Gary Schnabl
Southwest Detroit, two miles NORTH! of Canada--Windsor, that is...

Technical Editor forum <http://TechnicalEditor.LivernoisYard.com/phpBB3/>