Subject: [milwaukee-electric] Re: City Car 825
From: Scott Greig <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 10:18:31 -0800 (PST)
List-Id: <milwaukee-electric.lists.dementia.org>

Are there any other known instances (besides this picture and the Lakeside shuttle cars) where a Milwaukee city car was fitted with a hang-on interurban headlight?
--- On Tue, 2/1/11, Don L. Leistikow <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: Don L. Leistikow <[email-masked]>
Subject: [milwaukee-electric] Re: City Car 825
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tuesday, February 1, 2011, 11:16 AM

Ken and list:  Several clues may be drawn that contribute to the general
date and location.                                                   

I see only one wire.... fresh ballast..... and ascending ground
indicating a cut'.  Car 825 doesn't have a Square Route Sign box.so, I
conclude that the year is 1926 and the location is just north of
Greenfield Avenue   Furthermore, I suggest that this is the same
location where one or more of the 1111 - 1214 Inspection Trip series of
photos were taken.                                

Route Sign boxes on City Cars, were introduced in 1927.                                   

The 825 may well be on a feasability trip, to determine if City Cars
could operate the Local Service on the LRT, when in service along with
the High Speed 1100's. 

It was not until 1931, that three of the Milwaukee Northern cars were
shopped and reconfigured for double end operation, with folding doors
and walkover seats   These became cars 1102, 1103 and 1104.  

Of special note is that the 1103 had been Milwaukee Northern's 51 and
previous to that it was Gary Railways 401 and had originally been built
for the Chicago New York Air Line as their 102.                         

Don L.