Subject: TRANSNET #117
From: Harold Geissenheimer <[email-masked]>
To: Harold Geissenheimer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 01:12:55 -0400

THIS IS TRANSNET #117, YOUR #1 TRANSIT NEWS SOURCE

        WELCOME TO TRANSNET #117

  WITH PRIDE, TRANSNET SALUTES OUR ARMED FORCES.
           WE THANK YOU.  WE SUPPORT ALL OF YOU.

A MEMORIAL TO OUR DECEASED COALITION COMRADES.
We sometimes lose sight of the diverse coalition forces serving in
Afghanistan.  This past weekend, 62 peace keepers aboard a
chartered plane crashed in Turkey enroute home to Spain.  Our
hearts go out to the families and friends of our coalition allies.

NEWS FLASH: HBLRT/PATH PROGRESS REPORT

              Good news from Jersey City and Lower Manhattan

     -     Hudson-Bergen Light Rail Extension from E. 34th Street
           to E. 22d Street, Bayonne will open November 15, 2003.
           (Next extension from Hoboken to Weehawken Ferry: -?- 2004)
     -     PATH reconstruction of the World Trade Center Station
           is ahead of schedule and could open in November 2003.
     -     PATH Exchange Place Station will reopen on June 29, 2003.
           Features longer platforms and turn-back tracks for trains
           from Newark, Jorunal Sq and Hoboken.

Congratulations to PATH, NJ Transit and HBLRT for their speedy
actions following September 11, 2001.  The above openings reflect
the commitment of these agencies to return and improve service.

The new PATH WTC station is to be a temporary conduit for the
55,000 daily passengers expected to use it.  The construction
wll be simple concrete and steel with only a single entrance at
Church Street.  The station turns its back on  Battery Park city.
Passengers will have to go to Veysey or Liberty street to cross
West street.  The new station will still have 5 tracks and 3 platforms.
Above the platform level, a 23' high mezzanine stretches 416' by
140'.  This area will house the single work of art in the station, a
118' by 13' mosaic.  The mosaic is a gift of a regonal government
in Italy.  Above ground there will be a 25' high canopy at the
Church Street entrance.  Trains will still cross under the Hudson
River in the twin tubes completed  for the Hudson & Manhattan in
1909.  (Editor-Two cars from an abandoned 9/ll train in the station,
are stored with other artifacts at JFK airport for possible future
display.)

Following September 11, 2003, NJ Transit Commuter traffic into
Penn Station New York has greatly increased.  NJT has added
trains and cars to absorb the additional ridership.  The new
Secaucus Transfer station is expected to open weekends in
September 2003 with full service upon delievry of additional cars.

OTHER JUNE 2003 OPENINGS:

     -      BART SFO-MILLBRAE EXTENSION: June 22, 2003
     -      PITTSBURGH MLK-EAST BUSWAY: As early as
            June 15. 2003 depending on how the work progresses
            on 2.3 mile extension to Swissvale-Rankin.

FOLLOWED BY PASADENA GOLD LINE OPENING NOW
scheduled for July 2003.  MCA and LACMTA coordinating
turnover and opening date for this new 13.7 mile, thirteen station
light rail line.  The Construction Authority declared "substantial
completion" .  The next step is to begin test operations simulating
full passenger loads on the trains.

AND FROM SAN PEDRO: Transnet reader Bill Volkmer reports
that the LACMTA Employee Communications site states  that
Phase One of the Waterfront Red Car line is expected to open on
July 19, 2003 pending eqipment approval by the California PUC.
Newly built car 501 and restored 1907 trolley 1058 will operate on
the first 1.5 mile section from the Cruise Terminal to 22d street
stopping at the Maritime Museum and Ports O'Call.  A second
phase will include stops at 22d street landing, the Hilton Hotel and
the historic bath house at Cabrillo Beach.  This is essentially a
tourist line scheduled to operate 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday to Monday.
This is a $10 million project of the Port of Los Angeles.

NEWS FLASH:  Over Memorial Day Weekend, CTA, in a well
planned and engineered project, severed the famous S-curve at
Harrison Street on the N-S elevated in favor of a new structure
cutting diagonally across to make the connection.  Now a smoother,
faster and quieter ride for all.

IN KENOSHA: STREETCAR CENTENNIAL ON JUNE 14, 2003.

KENOSHA ELECTRIC STREETCAR OPENED JUNE 17, 2000.
   TRANSIT CENTER AND BARN DEDICATED JUNE 2001.

                    EVENTS ON JUNE 14, 2003
       SPONSORED BY KENOSHA STREETCAR SOCIETY
11 AM-100th anniversary of first electric streetcar and 3rd of the
current system.  3 PM-Presentation on Kenosha Streetcars then and now by
Bill Beewar of the MER&T Historical Society.  11 AM-4 PM-
Model rail layouts.  10 AM-530 PM-Streetcar rides (25 cents).
Dedicated to the late Joe McCarthy, City Transit Director to Aug 2000.

      KENOSHA STREETCAR HOURS TO JANUARY 2, 2004
        Mon-Fri:11.05AM-7.05PM   Sat-Sun:10.05AM-5.35PM

PLAN A VISIT TO KENOSHA AND NEARBY EAST TROY MUSEUM
   AND ALSO THE ILLINOIS RAILWAY MUSEUM & FOX RIVER.

       TRIP REPORT: EUROPE RE-VISITED

LRT OBSERVATIONS DURING A VISIT TO THE NETHERLANDS
AND TO THE FORMER EAST BERLIN AND EAST GERMANY

Earlier this month I flew on Lufthansa to Amsterdam via
Frankfurt,        then via ICE-International train to Berlin via
Duisburg, returning
on Lufthansa to Newark again via Frankfurt.  The new 4 engine
A340-300 Airbus was 100% full going over and had about 3 empty
seats on the return.  The smaller model A310 Airbus used on the
connecting flight was about 96% full.  In short, business was good.
Frankfurt Airport was jammed.  As usual, armed uniformed police
were evident and the security function went with no delay.  This
airport has been serious about security since several incidents in the
1970's.  At that time, it was normal to transfer your own checked
baggage from one side of the ramp to the other to ensure you and
your bag travelled together.

My goal on this trip was to inspect the several Dutch systems
moving into the low floor tram era but using older cars from
Vienna and Hannover in the interim.  In Germany, my goals
were to visit the changes in Berlin as the City became the nation's
capital, to return to the former East Berlin and East Germany
to observe the status of the unification, and to return to Rostock
a port city on the Baltic, where the tramway system has been
modernized with low floor cars and a new subway opened
below the HBF.  I used a German Rail Tour Pass within Germany.

My last several trips to Europe were to London/Rome/Naples and Paris/
Lyon/Orleans/Montpellier..   I was last in Berlin in l998 but happened
previously to be there the day the wall came down.  There is much to
report and there are many transit lessons to learn from recent
activities in both nations.

 IN THE NETHERLANDS:

RAILROAD SERVICE is provided by the national rail system
NV Nederlands Spoorwagen/Netherlands Railways (NS).  More
then half the mileage is electrified at 1.5 kV dc overhead.  The
main stations are the Central stations in Amsterdam, Den Haag, Rotterdam
and Utrecht.  International trains operate thru to
Germany or to Belguim & France.

The Thalys train to Brussels and Paris uses TGV type trainsets
painted a deep red.  8 round trips are operated daily.  Also
7 daily round trips from Maastricht to Paris via Brussels.  Also
1 round trp from Amsterdam to Disneyland Paris.

On the run to Frankfurt via Duisburg, new ICE-3 equipment
is used.  Some of this ICE-3 equipment is lettered for NS
ownership but painted in the white with red stripe ICE colors.
6 ICE-3 round trips are operated daily, 3 connecting at Duisburg to
Berlin.  Also 3 IC round trips to Berlin via Osnabruck.

NS operates frequent service between Amsterdam Central and the
Airport and then thru to many Dutch cities.  The Airport
station platforms are below the main airport concourse.

The network within The Netherlands operates on frequent clock
headways.  Convenient transfers are available at junction points.
It is possible to quickly and frequently reach any part of the nation.

Many express trains are operated with four car sets of double deck
EMU cars.  Older local trains may be two car sets of single deck
EMU's or various push pull combinations.  All are painted
a distinctive shade of yellow with blue trim.  The long distance
double deck versions include a small elevator for refreshment trolleys.

The Amsterdam Central station is under historic restoration
including renewal of the historic woodwork.  The station at
Leiden has been previously restored.  The Central stations
at The Hague and Rotterdam are modern stations.

IN GERMANY:

RAILROAD SERVICE is provided by the Deutsche Bundesbahn/
German Federal Railway (DB).  This now includes the former
East German system Deutsche Reichsbahn (DR).  Power supply
is 15 kV l6 2/3 Hz ac with various dual power combinations for
international service.  S-Bahn in Berlin is 800 V dc third rail and
in Hamburg is 1.2 kV dc third rail.

Following national unification, the East German DR system
has been folded back into the national DB system.  More than
half of the railroad system is electrified,

The German rail system has passed thru various stages of improved
service.  Following the era of basic train services, the railroad
evolved into the basic InterCity network and then the ICE and
ICE 3 train eras.  Regional train service has been developed
including many DMU type services by different manufacturers.
There are many socalled private railroads which are independent
of DB.  In the Karlsruhe, Saarbrucken and Kassel areas there
are dual power operations with the local transit system.

DB color schemes have long identified these marketing stages.
When I first visited Germany in the early 1970's, coaches were
a standard dark green.  (this was also used on DR).  Then coaches
(and locomotives) entered into various green/cream, blue/cream
or red/cream/color schemes.  Today mainline coaches are being
repainted white with a red stripe (same as IC) while local
or regional cars are being painted red.  Locomotives are now
being painted all red.  The new white with red stripe is very
attractive.  There is a question about graffiti as some parts
of Germany have lots of graffiti.

S-Bahn services outside of Berlin and Hamburg are either EMU
or push-pull operation.  Many regional trains are DMU.
Prior to unification, double deck cars were confined to the
east zone.  Now the double deck car is being used extensively
in the west as well.  DB found this a very practical and comfortable
car with increased capacity.  Most European nations are also making
heavy use of this type of car.

BY TRAIN: AMSTERDAM TO BERLIN VIA DUISBURG.

On Sunday, May, 2003, I used ICE 123 leaving Amsterdam at
904 AM to Duisburg, 202 km, arriving at 11.05 AM.  I changed
to ICE 547 at 11.10 AM to Berlin Zoo, 515 km, arriving at 3.02 PM.
The train operated via Hannover and used the high speed
right-of-way across the former East Germany.  There, the train covered
243 km in 80 minutes, reaching a top speed of 250 kmh according
to the indicator in the coach.  Reservations can be made in advance.
ICE and IC trains in Germany use both sections of high speed
track and shared DB track.  ICE service south of Duisburg
hits 300 kmh between Koln and Frankfurt.  Close connections
between ICE and IC trains have always been the rule.  On some
north-south trips, one might use three trains to connect between
off line sections.  Generally, ICE and IC trains operate hourly
in their core areas.  The close connections often across the
pkatform really do work.

  COUNTRY PROFILES: PART ONE-THE NETHERLANDS

TRAMWAY/LIGHT RAIL SERVICE IN THE NETHERLANDS

Four cities have tram service: Amsterdam, Den Haag, Rotterdam
and Utrecht.  Two of these, Amsterdam and Rotterdam, operate
subway/metro systems.  A 5th city, Arnhem operates an electric
trolley bus (ETB) system.

URBAN TRANSIT IN AMSTERDAM (Population 695,000)(1993)

Metro, ferry, light rail. tramway and bus service is operated by
GVB Amsterdam with suburban rail service by NS.

Maps are available at only Euro 0.80.  3 day tickets @ Euro 7.50
are sold from a temporary trailer outside the Central Station
replacing the previous store in the path of the new Metro.

METRO/LIGHT RAIL: The first full metro opened in 1973
with a two branch system from underground Central Station to
Gein and Gaasperplas.  The line is electrified with 750 V dc
third rail.  There are 19 metro stations, some shared with
light rail.   Service is provided by 44 two-car sets operated
in up to three sets.  They were built by LHB.  Once out of the
subway, they share r/w but not tracks with NS commuter trains.

Metro also operates a dual power LRT (Sneltram) branching
off the subway system at Spaklerweg to Amstelveen and
Middenhoven opened in 1990.  The line uses 750 V dc third
rail and then switches to 600 V dc overhead.  Part of the route
between Amstelveen and WTC-Zud (5 km) is shared with
tram route 5.  In the Metro area, the cars have a folding gap
filler plate to bridge the gap between the car and the high platform
shared with subway cars.  In the area shared with tram cars, there
are end to end separate high and low platforms.  There are 13 dual
voltage cars from LHB for this service.

More recently, the system opened the Ring Line from the outer
end of Metro via junction with the Sneltram at Overamstel
to Zuid WTC and then on its Ring Line west and north to Isolatorweg.
This is a third rail line using CAF LRT cars.  Much of the Ring Line
is adjacent to NS track.  A very modern line with excellent
high floor/high platform cars.

Now a separate new deep tunnel Metro is under construction
from Amsterdam North.  Scheduled to open in 2011, the new line
will have stations at Buikslotermeerplein, J Van Hasseltwe,
Central Station, Rokin, Vijzelgracht, Europalien and Zuid WTC
making connection there to the Ring Line and the Sneltram.
Total cost is estimated at Euro 1407 million.

At the present time there are 4 ferry boat lines operated from the
rear of Central Station to Amsterdam North as well as bus lines
via the IJ tunnel.  The new deep tunnel line will penetrate the
heart of the tramway system for the first time generally following
the inner end of tram line 16.  I stayed near the line 16 Albert
Cuypstraat stop where I found tram track on Ferdinand Bolstraat
from Albert C to Centuurbaan being removed  for subway construction.
This diverted route 24 via Museumplein and route 25 via Van Woustraat.

On the # 3 line in this neighborhood there are several grand unions.
Very impressive.  I personally only viewed grand unions in Roanoke
and Bethlehem in the USA.

Near the Rokin station, tram track has been shifted in the street.
Several other major track projects were observed.

The combination of third rail UBahn trains, dual power third rail/
overhead wire Sneltram LRT trains, overhead wire Ring trains and route 5
tram cars is indeed a unique combination.  No other system
has developed such a flexible network.  It works.

TRAMWAYS: The system is now entering the low-floor era with the
delivery of 151 new 5 section trams built by Siemens.  Several lines
have
returned to conductor fare collection.  Siemens cars include the
fixed conductor position at the rear and a push out gate at the
center exit doors.  Both the conductor and the motorman at the
front can collect or inspect fares.  The push out gate is generally
similar to those once  used on Montreal PCC cars and buses at the exit
door.

With the delivery of the Siemens cars in their attractive new
paint style. all equipment is being repainted in this white
with a blue stripe scheme.  New single and articulated buses
and the metro cars will also carry these colors.  In addition to
the single end Combino cars. there will be four double end
Combino cars (2201-03) as alternates on route 5.

The Circle Tram line #20 was withdrawn on September 22, 2002.
The extension of line 1 to De Aker opened on December 8, 2001.
Work started on January 20, 2003 to extend route 16 from
Stadioplein to VU-ziekenhuis.  This begins one stop beyond the
trolley museum at Haarlemmermeer station. on line 16.

This trolley museum includes an 8 km (5 miles) tram ride to
the south to Bovenkerk station.  The line is a former local single track

railway.  The trip lasts 30 minutes each way.  In May, the service
was being operated on Sundays only.

Yes, I agree.  Tramways and Urban Transport (4/2003) reports that
GVB has placed a ban on overall advertising paint schemes that
cover tram windows with film.  In a previous issue of Transnet
I reported that the DeCamp Busline here in New Jersey had enacted
a similar ban.  Cover the car but leave the windows for the
passengers to look out.  It can be done and still have effective
advertising.  Pittsburgh's mod-paint styles of the 1970's worked
for advertisers without covering the windows.

The Amsterdam tram system shows what can be done with a tramway
system.  Riding is heavy, there are many sections of reserved r/w
or pedestrian mall operation and speeds are high.  Amsterdam also
has a heavy use of bike ridership, there are bike lanes on most
streets.  Living in Amsterdam does not require owning an auto.

URBAN TRANSIT IN ROTTERDAM (Population 580,000, Metro
area 833,000)(1993)

Metro, Sneltram LRV, tramway and bus service is operated by the
Rotterdamse Elektrische Tram (RET) with NS commuter rail service.
RET intends to change from a city department to a limited shareholder
company in January 2004 similar to the example of HTM in
Den Haag.

METRO/SNELTRAM:  The first Metro line opened in 1968.  The
combined Metro/Sneltram system now consists of 40 km (11.5 km
in tunnel) with 32 stations (14 in tunnel).  Power supply is 750 V dc
third rail on metro and overhead on Sneltram sections.   The lines
beyond Capelsebrug to Binnenhof and Da Tocht are Sneltram
with the special metro cars switching to overhead pantograph
operation.  The newest line connecting Marconiplein and Hoogvliet
opened on November 4, 2002.  Known as the Benelux metro, it
crosses under the river Nieuwe Maas in a deep tunnel.  Opening
ceremonies on the six station line were on November 2, 2002.

The Rotterdam Sneltram is different from the one in Amsterdam.
In Amsterdam, there is an LRV switching over to third rail and using the
subway to Central station.  In Rottedam, its the opposite.  A third
rail metro car from the subway switches over to pantagraph operation
in the suburbs.  Both third rail and overhead are 750 V dc in Rotterdam.

In Amsterdam, the third rail is 750 V dc, the overhead 600 V dc shared
with the tramway.

The latest Metro cars are three section articulated cars operated  in
three car sets,  These cars have an attractive front end design with
a full width windshield and destination sign.  The new cars are painted
white and dark blue with a narrow red stripe.  Very attractive.  The
Metro cars have mostly forward facing plastic seats with vertical
stanchions similar to PCC cars at the seats.  Stations are modern and
well maintained.  The ones I observed all had ADA elevators.  The two
lines cross two stations south of the Central station at Beurs.
Turnstiles
are being installed at Metro stations for smart cards.

In addition to new Metro cars, Bombardier will deliver 18 Sneltram
sets (5401-18( for use on the Calandijn.

TRAMWAYS:  The tramway operation is interesting and very much
suited for downtown Rotterdam.  Much of Rotterdam was destroyed in
World War II resulting in a modern downtown with high rise buildings.
There are extensive pedestrian malls.  Outside the Central Station,
there
is a multiple track tramway station for through running of routes.

On the weekend of May 9-11, 2003, trams serving Central Station
were rerouted to alternatives to allow a major replacement of
special work and track.  The shutdown  affected 8 routes
serving the plaza in front of the Central Station.

An attractive full color folder was issued showing the alteratives.
Nicely done with excellent graphics to inform passengers of the
project.  Many systems do not always properly inform their
passengersof such changes.

Fares were increased from January 1, 2003.  One day pass Euro 3.20.
The RET ticket office at Central Station is open 7 days until 23.00.

Conductors are being re-introduced on various lines to reduce fare
evasion.  Line 1 was converted on November 25, 2002.

Trams are being repainted in the attractive new rapid transit colors.
They are receiving delivery of 60 new Citadis LRV's from Alstom.  The
new 5 section single ended tram cars are painted white and dark blue
with a red diagonal stripe at the doors.

Pending delivery, they acquired twelve E and E1 trams from Vienna.
These are six axle single ended  articulated cars built in the 1960's.
They
retain their attractive Vienna Red and cream colors.  They are operated
on Tramway route 2 crossing the Metro at the Maashaven station.
I made several trips and enjoyed riding on the Duewag car of the 1960's
which actually saved tramways in much of Europe prior to the birth of
Light Rail and Stadtbahn cars.  Line 2 serves a diverse neighborhood
that includes a modern mosque.  The outer end is shared with line 20
from downtown which crosses the river on a unique suspension bridge.
It is expected that the ex-Vienna cars will be withdrawn in June 2003.

URBAN TRANSIT IN DEN HAAG: (Population: 445,000, Metro-
565,000)(1993)

Tramways and bus service operated by Tramweg-Meetschappij (HTM)
with suburban rail service by NS.  <www.htm.ne>

HTS is constituted as a private company but all shares are owned
by the city.

The tramway system consists of 117.7 km (80.5 km on reserved
r/w) of track.  About 154 tram cars are operated including BN GTL8
single ended articulated cars.  There are 10 tram lines electrified at
600
V dc overhead.i

Route 1 is a regional  line to Delft.

Den Haag was the pioneer PCC operator in Western Europe.
The local trolley museum has preserved many of these PCC cars.

An excellent route map is sold for Euro 0.50.

Den Haag is a party to the national 15 "Strippenkaart" ticket.
Lines are split into 4.5 km zones.

There is a ticket booth at both stations.

My specific goal in Den Haag was to ride one of the 8 ex-Hannover
3 section LHB articulated cars acquired by HTM to provide
additional capacity.  The cars are used on route 11 between
Scheveningen Haven on the coast an Leiden NS.  I rode out
on route 11, walked along the coast promenade and returned
to Central Station on route 8.

The ex-Hannover cars are equipped for double end operation.
The basic Den Haag system is single ended dating back to PCC
days.  HTM has apparently retained the double end capability
as well as the flip step used in Hannover for combined high and low
platform operation.  All stops in Den Haag are low platform.

The cars were rehabilitated and repainted in Den Haag red and
cream.  The work will add many years of service to these excellent
LRV's built by LHB in the 1970's.  Similar cars have been sold
by Hannover to the Budapest BKV.

Before the arrival of the ex-Hannover cars, Tramways and Urban
Transit 3/2002 reported 135 of the then 147 car fleet in peak service.
It's apparent that properly designed and maintained LRV's
require very low spare ratios.

New tram route 15 Centraal Station to Nootdorf opened on
January 2, 2002 using 9 trams (5 weekend and evenings).  Two
of the nine weekday trams are designed "Koffiewagens" to be
 used by controllers to fill gaps.  (Editor: We did this in
Pittsburgh 40 years ao.  Called them COT-Cars on time.
An extra car would wait at the outer terminal and start in on the late
car's time.  Motormen would switch enroute.  It worked.

Authority has been received for future tram route 19 from Delft
station to Ypenberg and Leidschendam by 2005-06.

LESSONS LEARNED IN THE NETHERLANDS

     -      Tramway and Light Rail systems are alive and well
     -      The two large systems are taking delivery of large fleets
             of multi-section single end low floor LRV's.
     -       Major track and infrastructure work continues.
     -       Where appropriate, rapid transit/metro is expanding.
             The seven  station Amsterdam Metro is u/c from Amsterdam
             North to Zuid WTC crosses under the river and Central
             Station tracks.  In Rotterdam, the new Metro  line
             also crosses under a river.
     -       All cities have a varied promotional fare structure
including
             one day tickets. etc.  Ticket sales outlets are available
             7 days at the Central stations.
     -       There is a nation wide strip ticket.
     -       To limit fare evasion, conductors are being returned to
             LRV's in Amsterdam and Rotterdam.
     -       Two cities have continued to advance and improve the
             concept of dual-power sneltrams.
     -       Each Dutch city system's fares cover all modes.
     -       Maps and promotional material are well presented and
             available.
     -       There are large tram museums in each city.
     -       Two systems have made use of used equipment as
              an interim measure.  Older cars are being sold
              to the east.
     -       Trains & trams run on time.
     -       Clock schedules are frequent and easy to use.
     -       NS Commuter rail makes extensive use of double deck
             electric MU train sets.
     -       International trains now use TGV or ICE stock.
     -       There are many different single and multi-country
             rail passes.
     -      There are modern regional bus systems.  The Haarlem
             busway opened on January 13, 2002 is doing well.
             Service is operated every 7.5 minutes using low floor
             articulated buses.  Ridership has reached 22,000 per day.
     -      A simple summary: Trams, Metro and Trains Work!

Thanks to Tramways and Urban Transit for back ground data
over the last three years.

COUNTRY PROFILES: PART II-FORMER EAST GERMANY

Part II will be continued in the next issue of Transnet (#118).
Look for my travels in the former East Berlin and East Germany
including a visit to Rostock, a port city on the Baltic that has
just opened a tram subway and has a fully rehabilitated Tramway.

                    OTHER RAIL OPENINGS
              (all dates subject to change. check Transnet)

IN THE FALL 2003

TACOMA: The Tacoma Link 1.6 mile LRT connecting the Tacoma
Dome station with Sounder, Amtrak and bus services is now
undergoing testing.  Three Skoda built LRV's similar to the
Portland Streetcars will be operated.  Scheduled to open in September.

SALT LAKE CITY: TRAX-Medical Center 1.5 mile, three station
     extension scheduled to open late Septembetr prior to APTA mtg.

SOUTHERN NEW JERSEY DMU: Fall 2003. 34 mile, 20 stations
     DMU LRT from Camden to Trenton.

NEW JERSEY NEC COMMUTER RAIL: Fall 2003. Secaucus
      Transfer Station with Main-Bergen diesel lines-Weekends only.

SAN JUAN-TREN URBANO: Third rail line. September 29, 2003.

SACRAMENTO RTD: South Line to Meadowview-6.3 miles,
       6 stations.  October ? 2003

ST LOUIS METRO: Illinois extention to Shiloh-Scott. 3.6 miles. - ? -

JFK AIR TRAIN:  - ? -

AND IN 2004

HOUSTON - HARRIS COUNTY MTA METRO: January 1, 2004
        Main Street LRT.  Seven and a half miles with 16 stations.

DUBLIN - LUAS LRT: June 2004

MINNEAPOLIS METRO - HIAWATHA LRT: April 2004.
        17 station, 11.6 mile LRT with 22 Bombardier built LRV's.

PITTSBURGH - STAGE II (OVERBROOK): Spring 2004

NJ TRANSIT - HBLRT: Extension to Weehawken Ferry.  -  ?  -

NEW CONSTRUCTION: St Louis Metro has began constructing
its eight-mile Cross County extension which would connect St.
Louis, University City, Clayton, Richmond Heights, Brentwood,
Maplewood and Shrewsbury, Mo.  The $55-.3 million project
includes 9 stations, two parking lots and purchasing 22 LRV's.

FROM CANADA:  GO Transit gains government grants worth
C$1 billion from a mix of federal, provincial and municipal
governments.  The federal government is putting up C$435
million.  The funding will allow expansion of track capacity
by adding a third track along the Lakeshore and extend rail
service to Barrie, a city about 60 miles north of Toronto.
About C$50 million of the federal share will go toward the
development  of new TTC rapid transit service in the northern
areas of the Toronto region.

THE MARKET PLACE: "Progressive Railroad" Magazine in
their May 2003 issue summarized rail passenger equipment for
FY 2001 as follows:
      -      Commuter Rail: Active vehicles: 5,124
                                        Average vehicle age: 22.0 years
      -      Heavy Rail: Active vehicles: 10,718
                                 Average vehicle age: 21.8 years
      -      Light Rail:   Active vehicles: 1,366
                                  Average vehicle age: 18.4 years
Recent LRV contracts:
      -      AnsaldoBreda: $159 million for 50 LRV's for LACMTA.
      -      Siemens Transpofrtation Systems  $85 million for 34
             model SD 160 LRV's for Denver RTD.  Also $53 million
             for 22 model SC 460 high floor LRV's for St Louis Metro.
             Also orders for 11 model S70 low floor LRV;s for San
             Diego and 10 low floor LRV's for Portland.

MTA COMMUTER RAIL:  The Long Island Rail Road has begun
taking delivery of 680 new M-7 third rail commuter cars replacing
the M-1 cars from the late 1960's.  208 additional cars will be
delivered to Metro North.

NEED A EUROPEAN RAIL PASS: Mercator Travel, 122 East 42d
Sreet, NYC.  Phone 1-212-682 6979 or <[email-masked]>

MTA FARE INCREASE RESCINDED:  State Supreme Court
Judge Louis B. York ordered the MTA to rescind its transit and
commuter rail fare increase ruling that the authority violated
state law by misleading the public about its finances (deficit).
He allowed the MTA two weeks to roll back the fares.  The
Authority has said that they will appeal.

MTA NEW YORK CITY SUBWAYS has announced that the
crowded Lexington Ave subway will receive 12 new trains this
fall. The new trains will add some capacity and reduce crowing
under a $1.7 million plan.  The expanded service is expected to
start in November.  The extra trains are as follows:
     -      4 Line (2 trains) 1 Bronx bound  in the morning and evening
     -      5 line (1 train) 1 Bronx bound in the evening
     -      6 line (9 trains) 3 Bronx bound in the morning and evening.
                       and 3 Manhattan bound trains in the morning.
Also, on the L line (7 trains) 3 to Manhattan in the morning and 4
Brooklyn bound trains in the evening.

IN PENNSYLVANIA, Gov Ed Rendell has advocated that the
federal government should fund both competing Maglev proposals.
The Pennsylvania proposal is for a $3 billion, 45 mile line from
Greensburg via Monroeville and downtown to the Airport.
The Maryland project is for a $4.4 billion 40 mile route
betweeWashington and Baltimore.

NEW 2003 SCHEDULE FOR DMU DEMOS:  Colorado Railcar
has announced that their new FRA approved DMU will be on
display or test operations as follows:
     -      May 27-28, 2003-Salt Lake City area for Utah DOT
     -      June 7-9-San Jose for APTA Rail Conference.
     -      Then 2-3 weeks of demos in Northern California
            before the car goes to Los Angeles and then on to
            Las Vegas.
     -      Then an August tour of Alaska and then to Atlanta
             for Rail-Volution on September 11 and 12, 2003.
     -      Then a sweep thru the deep south and Texas.
Update this itinerary at <www.ColoradoRailcar.com>

Try to see this excellent vehicle on this tour.  I was able to ride
the DMU at the Pueblo test track and visit the factory last
summer.  I was impressed.

INTERESTING ARTICLE ABOUT THE NEWARK SUBWAY

The July-Dec 2001 issue of ERA Headlights (just issued) has a 35
page article by Frank S. Miklos covering the history of the Newark
City Subway from PSNJ to TNJ to NJT.  Illustrated with numerous
historic photos, Frank has included all of the necessary references
giving the background to this operation.  One rail line with a
history worth reading about.  Congratulations to Editor Sandy
Campbell and Frank for a job well done.  $10 from
<www.electricrailroaders.org>

FROM PITTSBURGH:
RECOGNIZING THE COUPLE WHO HAVE KEPT THE
DUQUESNE INCLINE PLANE'S LEGACY:
The Pittsburgh Tribune Review on May 8, 2003 carried a two
page illustrated article about David and Ruth Miller's efforts
to maintain and improve the plane for the Society for the
Preservation of the Duquesne Heights Incline.  Now in their
80's, the couple have been responsible for the Incline since
1963.  A fine tribute to a wonderful couple who have kept
the 1877 railway operating.  I rode the last day of the former
Duquesne Incline Plane Company and was happy to see the
Society's effort to restore operations succeed.  Now ridership
is declining and the volunteers are passing away.  New blood
is needed as the Incline is now on the National Register of
Historic Places.  I have been friends with the Miller's since
1963 and have respected their work.  It has been a labor of
love that has succeeded for 40 years.

NEW YORK'S CENTRAL PARK IS 150 YEARS OLD:  This
major urban park opened on May 15, 1853.  It continues to bring
joy to many New Yorkers.  Out of towners may find it hard to
believe but New York kids can actually sled ride there, weather
permitting.  I know, I did it in the 1940's after school.  The park
designed by Calvert Vaux and Frederick Lee Olmsted remains
a living testimony to their excellent design.

BROOKLYN BRIDGE IS 120 YEARS OLD: New Yorkers turned out
riding, running or walking acrosss the 6,016-foot bridge from
Brooklyn to Manhattan to celebrate the bridge's birthday.  The
bridge opened on May 24, 1883.  While there is no transit on the
bridge today, the bridge has an interesting transit heritage.  There
was initially a cable railway across the bridge which was then replaced
by Brooklyn Elevated trains which used large glass enclosed stations
at Park Row, Manhattan and Sands Street, Brooklyn.  Trolleys
also operated from Park Row to Brooklyn using tracks in the outside
roadway.  During World War II, upon abandonment of the elevated
service, trolleys were shifted to the inner (former elevated) tracks.
At Park Row, a simple multiple track surface loop terminal was
installed.
PCC cars crossed the bridge at the end.

THE JOHNSTOWN FLOOD REMEMBERED: Prior to September
11, 2001, the Johnstown flood was America's worst single civilian
disaster.  114 years ago the flood wiped out 2,209 lives on May
31, 1889.  This year's ceremony will include the premier of the
movie "Johnstown Flood" narrated by actor Richard Dreyfuss.
There was a second similar major flood in 1937.
Call 1-814-495-4643 for full event schedule.

WIDENER UNIVERSITY RAIL SEMINAR TOUR TO HBLRT

On May 22, 2003 I joined a group from the Widener University's
Rail seminar that visited the HBLRT.  We had an interesting
inspection of the control center and the maintenance base and
a ride on one of the Bayonne flyers.  There are six AM inbound
and six PM outbound express flyers from 34th and 45th street.
Speeds of 55 MPH are attained.  In the PM, outbound service
wrong rails south of Liberty State Park so that Flyer trips can
go thru stations with out conflict with passengers crossing to
the center platforms.  It works well.  Thanks to Al Fazio, P.E..
21st Century CEO,  Ed Hrinewski, Project Manager and Michele
Butchko, Community Relations Director.

Also an excellent dinner at Prestos, Warren & Morris Streets, J.City.

The continued expansion and development of Jersey City is
due to some degree to the LRT.  Both housing and commercial.
LRT operations are improving with shorter dwell times and
signal priority.  Maintenance is excellent.

DEATHS: Louis J.G. Buehler (July 22,1918 to Feb 25, 2003)
Long time supporter of the East Broad Top RR and one of the
founders of Railways to Yesterday in 1960.  He contributed
much to the preservation of our rail heritage.

CONTRIBUTE TO THE LOUIS BUEHLER MEMORIAL FUND
for restoration of Oporto 172, Johnstown 355, Blacklog Narrows
platform, maintenace or general fund.  Checks to Railways to
Yesterday Inc, PO box 1601, Allentown, Pa. 18105

AND IN LOS ANGELES:  Dr. John Dyer, former  CEO of both the
Los Angeles and Miami systems.  He was General Manager of the
SCRTD from 1981 ti 1988.  He was previosuly Director of the
Dade County system from 1977.  In both systems he advanced the
construction of rapid transit.

I last visited with John when he was serving as Co-Acting General
Manager of the Metro Blue Line Construction Authority.  Before
that I worked with John as a consultant to the proposed ETB
system for Los Angeles.  He was a fine profesional and a good friend.

A memorial service will be held on May 28, 2003.

EVENTS:

     -     Saturdays thru September 27, 2003: Chicago-CTA Loop Tour
           train.  11.35AM, 12.15PM, 12.55PM and 1.35PM.  From
           Randolph/Wabash.  Tickets-Chicago Cultural Center (free)

     -     Memorial Day Weekend thru October, 2003.  Weekends only.
           10.30AM-4.15PM at the Rockhill Trolley Museum, Rockhill
           Furnace, Pa. at the East Broad Top Railroad. Special Event
           days for Ice Cream Night Trolley, Fall Spectacular, Santa's
           Trolley and Polar Bear Express.  <www.rockhilltrolley.org>

     -     May 26. 2003: Memorial Day Holiday. BAERA Western Ry
           Museum open 10.30AM and 5PM.  Then Wednsday, May
           28, summer operations begin (Wednesdays thru Sundays)
           Contact <www.wrm.org>

     -    June 7, 2003:  Drive-yourself tour of NJ Transportation
            Heritage Center sites at Lebanon Statio(9-11AM),
            Phillipsburg Union Station (10AM-3PM), Pump House
            Bus Garage tour (3PM-5PM, PS trolleyt car #2651
            restoration (3PM-5PM).  Contact <www.njthc.org>

     -     June 8-12, 2003:  APTA RAIL TRANSIT CONFERENCE
           in San Jose.

     -     June 14, 2003: Kenosha Streetcar Centennial

     -     Meetings: BSRA Boston-June 7, 2003
                           NY Division ERA-June, 2003
                           CERA-June 27, 2003

     -     July 1-6, 2003: NRHS 2003 Convention-Baltimore B&O Museum

     -     July 25-27, 2003: 50 year Korean War Armistice Commemor-
            ation Weekend in Washington, DC.  <http.//www.korea50.mil>

     -     August 2, 3, 9, 10, 2003: Chartiers Valley Flyer Carnegie to
PTM-
           Arden, Washington,Pa.  Order from PTM, 1-724-228-9256

     -     August 15, 16, 17, 23, 24, 2003.  IRM, Union, Illinois.  "A
           day out with Thomas".  Contact <www.irm.org>

     -     Labor Day weekend: ERA convention in Toronto at Days
            Hotel.  Includes two TTC trips, visit to the Halton County
            Radial Ry and the ERA's annual banquet with Transnet reader
            Bob Halperin as speaker.  Lets hope the medical emergency
            will be open.

     -     September 2003: APTA ANNUAL MEETING

     -     November 15-19, 2003: Electric Vehicle EVS 20 at Long
           Beach, Ca.  Contact <www.evs20.org>

NYCT TO CONEY ISLAND:  During rehabilitation of the large
Stillwell Ave station, service will be as follows:
     -     W Train: Only subway route direct to Coney Island
     -     F Beach Bus: from Ave X station to Cyclone
     -     Q Beach Bus; from Sheepshead Bay station to Cyclone.
           (Hours of bus operation: 8 a.m. to 11 p.m.)
     -     F and Q trains return to Coney Island in Spring 2004.

OUR HERITAGE: June 1 to November 9, 2003: Photos by Stephen
Spinder, "Through my Lens" Tues-Sat 11 to 4PM, Sunday 1-4PM.
Transnet reader and good friend Ferenc Joo introduced me to this
museum in the early 1990's.  American Hungarian Foundation,
300 Somerset Street, New Brunswick, NJ.  Phone 1-732-846-5777

ABOUT THE KENOSHA STREETCAR SOCIETY: Write to be
placed on mailing list and membership.  c/o City of Kenosha,
room 300, 625 52d Street, Kenosha, WI. 53140

ADDITIONAL MILANO INFORMATION from Jack May: There
are 18 urban streetcar lines (not 16), 9 of which are served by the
75 year old Peter Witt cars, the same equipment running on the
F line in San Francisco.  The two interurban lines, to Desio and
Ospedale Limbiate, have not been withdrawn, but only cut back to
their inner ends, to allow rerouting to feed into extensions of
Metro line 3.  At the same time, they are being double-tracked.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS.

PROTECT OUR NATION.  KEEP AMERICA STRONG

HAROLD H GEISSENHEIMER
(973) 292 2916