Subject: transnet #119
From: Harold Geissenheimer <[email-masked]>
To: harold geissenheimer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 23:35:08 -0400

THIS IS TRANSNET #119, YOUR #1 TRANSIT NEWS SOURCE

     CELEBRATE OUR NATION'S BIRTHDAY
     DURING THE ENTIRE MONTH OF JULY

MAKE THIS MORE THAN A LONG WEEKEND.  FLY OUR FLAG.  TELL OUR KIDS ABOUT
OUR HERITAGE.  BE PROUD.

One of the best July 4th Holidays I ever had was in the early 1970's
when a good friend and fellow National Guard officer, George Lynch,
was married in Southampton, Pa.  The church lawn was crowded
with American flags and there was a military color guard.  George's
son was to be named George Patton Lynch.  Major Lynch was proud
to be an American.  You should be also.

     VISIT GETTYSBURG THIS MONTH.  THIS IS THE 140TH
          ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION OF THE BATTLE.

  USS RONALD REAGAN, OUR NEWEST AIRCRAFT CARRIER,
  WAS COMMISSIONED ON JULY 12, 2003.  GOOD LUCK TO THIS
  SHIP AND ITS THOUSANDS OF CREW MEMBERS.  INTERESTING
  CARRIER DATA: SHIP IS OVER 1,090 FEET LONG, DISPLACES
  97,000 TONS WHEN LOADED, CARRIES A CREW OF 6,000
  AND 80 COMBAT AIRCRAFT.  FLIGHT DECK IS 4.5 ACRES
  AND STANDS 20 STORIES ABOVE THE WATERLINE.

                     THE REST OF THE STORY:

Germany continues to support U.S. forces.  They have contributed
a chemical and biological detection unit in Kuwait, troops to
operate Patriot missile batteries in Turkey and to fly AWACS radar
missions.  Also, 2,500 Germans have been guarding U.S. bases in
Germany.  Germany is assisting running a U.S. defense education
center in Garmisch.  German Defense Minister Peter Struck has
talked about "our American friends" and the long history of
cooperation between the two governments.,  "We have different
points of view as far as Iraq was concerned, " Struck sad.  "but
a friendship such as ours can weather such a storm.  We are now
looking ahead".

In France, US Veteran's graves received memorial flowers on 7/4.
A very large celebration is planned next year in Normandy.

            WELCOME TO TRANSNET #119

BICYCLE AND TRANSIT USE CAN REDUCE OUR RELIANCE
ON MID-EAST OIL.  THE US SENATE IS NOW CONSIDERING
"THE CONSERVE BY BIKE ACT".  USE TRANSIT & BIKES.

CONGRATULATIONS TO RAIL LINES LIKE CALTRAIN WHO
PROVIDE GREATLY INCREASED ON-BOARD BIKE STORAGE.
THIS IS ESPECIALLY NEEDED BY REVERSE COMMUTERS
FROM SAN FRANCISCO WHO USE BIKES TO REACH JOBS.

NEWS FLASH:  RAIL BRIDGE FIRE CUTS OFF SOUTH END
OF METRA ELECTRIC EMU SUBURBAN SERVICE IN CHICAGO.
A fire that destroyed a timber overpass in Riverdale at 137th St on
June 23, 2003 isolated equipment and passengers south of the
Kensington station.  Through service resumed on July 2, 2003.
About 13,000 daily riders were cut off.  They were advised to drive
to Rock Island line stations or other Metra diesel line stations.
Metra originally did not provide any shuttle bus connections but
was finally forced to react.  There were many complaints about
discrimination of south side riders.  The bridge was under construction
and scheduled to be replaced .  No attempt was made to tow EMU cars
around the bridge to be used for increased service on the north end.
Metra finally agreed to run shuttle buses two days later on Wednesday,
June 26, 2003 after claiming traffic congestion prevented such
an operation.

(Editor: By contrast, BN was faced with a major disruption with
a freight derailment near LaGrange in the late 1970's.  Working with
the CTA, a major bus bridge was established with train service
on both sides.  It was impressive to see a 10 car train of Gallery
cars transfer their rush hour loads to CTA buses for a one station
ride. Myself and the entire CTA staff made this happen.  It was
a good experience of inter-agency cooperatrion. Adjacent communities
provided bus only lanes and police control.  It all worked well.)

RAIL ACCIDENT  SIX DIE IN 6/11 GERMAN TRAIN CRASH
ON A LOCAL SINGLE TRACK DB LINE NEAR SCHROZBERG
in southwstern Grmany.   Both driver's were killed when
one of the trains running late departed down the single track.
The branch connects Aschaffenburg and Crailsheim.

German news reports indicated that one train was a class 628 DMU, the
other a four car diesel locomotive hauled train.  The locomotive and
one coach derailed.  Both services were regional trains.

                         OPENINGS

        PATH REOPENS EXCHANGE PLACE STATION

"An important step toward revitalizing the region" said PATH as
they reopened the Exchange Place Station on June 29.  No fares were
collected on opening day at this station.

PATH has announced their new service plan designed to flow into
the return of service under the Hudson River to the World Trade
Center later this year.  The new routes are:

      -      Newark to Exchange Place*
      -      Journal Sq to 33rd Street
      -      Hoboken to 33rd Street
      -      Hoboken to Exchange Place*
      -      Nights & Weekends from 730 PM-Journal Sq  to
             Hoboken to 33rd street

* Ferry connection from Exchange Place to Lower Manhattan.
NY Waterways every 6 minutes to World Financial Center and every
20 minutes to Pier11-Wall Street.  Also new ferry service
to                 mid-town Manhattan.  An inspection visit during the
PM rush hour on Monday, June 30, showed trains from Hoboken
to Exchange Place arriving on the Manhattan bound track, reversing
and going to Newark.  Trains arriving from Newark were on the
track from Manhattan and reversing to Hoboken.  All went well.

PATH has issued new timetables, a map and  promotional
material including a special June issue of PATHWAYS.  The
next step is to resume service to lower Manhattan-WTC as early
as November this year.

The reopened Exchange Place station includes lengthened platforms
and new crossover switches to allow turning trains west of the
station.  Congratulations to PATH Director/General Manager
Micael P. DePallo on completing this job in less than two years
following 9/11.

BART GOES TO SFO AND MILLBRAE ON JUNE 22, 2003

"Thousands of commuters will have a more convenient way to
travel without the stress of traffic.  Four new BART stations opened"

BART implemented a new service plan to serve SFO Airport and
Millbrae on June 22, 2003 following free rides on Saturday afternoon,
July 21, 2003 with purchase a $4 BART ticket and boarding a
Colma-bound train.   You rode free thru the new South San Francisco,
Millbrae and SFO stations with out getting off and as long as you
returned to your original station without exiting the BART system
you received your $4.00 back.

I flew out to San Jose and rode various BART trains on Sunday
following rides on VTA on Saturday.  No unusual problems were
found and all was working well.  The opening was covered by
the New York Times.  Both Sam Trans/Cal Train and BART had
staff on hand in the stations.  Also rode Muni's F line which
continues to amaze me.  It was twenty years ago that I helped
establish the San Francisco Trolley Fest which became the F line.

After service began on June 22. 2003, the following routes will
be operated:

     -      The Dublin/Pleasanton line extended to SFO.
     -      The Pittsburg/Bay Point line via Oakland extended to
Millbrae,
             where BART and Caltrain meet side by side.
     (service on these two lines will run every 15 minutes on week
     days and every 20 minutes in the evenings and weekends)

     -       The Millbrae and SFO shuttle will run every 20 minutes

     -       Additional trains from Colma:
              -       Colma to Fremont
              -       Colma to Richmond via Oakland

     -       Also Richmond to Fremont.

The four new stations are: South San Francisco, San Bruno, SFO
Airport and Millbrae.  CALTRAIN service to Millbrae resumed on
Monday, June 24, 2003 following their weekend shutdown for
construction of the "Baby Bullet" commuter service.

BART trains connect to the AirTrain people mover to all terminals.  This

is an extensive system using Bombardier (Adtranz-AEC-Westinghouse)
rubber tired cars that opened in March 2003.

BART's Mike Healy reported that an average of 6,891 pass thru
the SFO station against an estimate of 6,569.  On Thursday, July 3,
2003, some 8,444 used the station at the start of the weekend,

BART hours of operation:
      -      Weekdays- 4 AM to Midnight
      -      Saturdays- 6 AM to Midnight
      -      Sundays- 8 AM to Midnight

Sample BART fares:
      -     to SFO: From downtown SF-$4.70, From Oakland-$4.95
      -     to Millbrae: from downtown SF-$3.30, From Oakland-$3.55
      -     From Millbrae to SFO-$1.50 replacing free Caltrain bus

Parking will be limited to 24 hours at BART stations.  There will
be a $2 charge a day at stations on the West side of the Bay.  There
will be experimental long term parking at Bay Fair, Walnut Creek
and El Cerrito del Nortes stations for $7 a day.

FOR COMPLETE BART SCHEDULE AND FARE INFORMATION:
www.bart.gov

OTHER BART PROGRESS: New elevators, fare gates and a large
mural installed at the MacArthur BART station.  Two new elevators
have been installed built by Thyssen Elevator.  These improvements
are part of a ten year $1.5 billion improvement program.

ST LOUIS METRO LRT EXTENDED TO SHILOH-SCOTT

Metro extended its LRT further into Illinois on June 21, 2003 with
opening ceremonies followed by revenue service on June 23, 2003.
The line was extended 3.5 miles from Southwestern Illinois
College to Scott Air Force base.  The next step,  a 5.3 mile
extension to MidAmerica St. Louis Airport is still in the planning
stages.  In Missouri, the next expansion will be the Cross-County
line from Forest Park to the southside of I-44.  Stops will include
the Washington University campus and one near the St. Louis
Galleria.  This line will open by 2006.  Look for a full story in
the next issue of Transnet thanks to reader Roy Benedict.

(Editor: When using American Airlines thru their St Louis hub
(ex TWA), you may be able to arrange a longer time connection
and make the round trip to Illinois between flights)

KENOSHA ELECTRIC STREETCAR NEWS.

4,085 used 3 PCC cars in 28 hours of service during the July 4
Fireworks at the Lakeside Park.  Kenosha is installing
floor straps for wheelchairs just behind the center doors.
Kenosha uses an onboard lift mounted at the center door.
PCC cars are operated daily as follows: M-F 11.05AM to 7.05 PM,
Sat & Sunday: 10.05AM to 5.35PM.  Plan a visit this summer.

Other Kenosha news: New bus timetable newspaper tabloid
issued January, 2003.  Kenosha Transit has received seven Orion
40' buses from Milwaukee to replace older RTS buses.

Local historians have acquired a Chicago area Commuter Bus
Service bus #401, a GMC model TGH 3714 for restoration.The bus is now at
the Kenosha streetcar barn but restoration will be funded
by outside sources.  In the early 1950's,  Kenosha Motor Coach
operated this type of bus.  (Editor: In Pittsburgh, both Harmony
and Community operated an earlier TGH 3612 bus.  These were
excellent 4 cylinder diesels very popular with passengers and
drivers.  It will  be good to see the bus in Kenosha colors.)

OTHER 4TH OF JULY FIREWORKS WERE ALSO SERVED BY
TRANSIT.  Major events in Washington, New York, Boston, Chicago
and San Francisco were fully supported by transit with additional
hours, trains and buses.

SEPTA TO OPEN FRANKFORD TRANSPORTATION CENTER

During the nine day period July 18 to 27, 2003, SEPTA will implement
the "Frankford Swing" switch tracks to the new FTC center.  Trains
will terminate at Margaret-Orthodox with shuttle buses to Bridge/Pratt,
Work will go on 24 hours a day as 800' of new preconstructed track
and deck is installed and the old track removed.

NEW CALTRAIN BUDGET TO BE APPROVED THIS MONTH
includes the start of up to 10 "Baby Bullet" express trains bewteen San
Francisco and San Jose and the resumption of weekend service
in March 2004.  The $72 million operating budget is 9.4% larger.

SANTA CLARA VTA will delay massive cuts to bus service hoping
it can borrow against future sales tax revenues as a short-term
solution to an unpreceented budget deficut.  Cuts would heve been
as high as 21% and include the Almaden LRT spur.

               LIGHT RAIL OPENINGS IN JULY

IN PASADENA:  The Gold Line dedication Ceremony was held on
June 7th at 10.30 am at the Memorial Park station.  A Gold line
train was parked at the station for inspection.  Train service will
start on July 26, 2003 with an entire weekend of free rides.  Full
information in the next issue thanks to Transnet reader Donald Duke.

IN SAN PEDRO:  The Port of Los Angeles Red Car project will
open on July 19, 2003.  The $10 million project was approved
by the California Public Utilities Commission.  Congratulations
to Bob Henry, Manager for the Port.

IN CLEVELAND:  GCRTA will operate two former CA&E interurban
cars in a special weekend service from Tower City to the Waterfront, a
distance of about two miles.  This event will be limited to one
weekend (July 26-27) and depends on the cars passing a rigid
inspection program.  The purpose is to provide an impetuous
to the keeping the Trolleyville historic collection in north eastern
Ohio.  Cars to be used are #36 and #303.  Check with GCRTA for
current information,

IN MINNEAPOLIS: A Metro Hiawatha Corridor LRV made its
first test runs early in June.   Service opens in 2004.  However
LRT operating costs still remains to be solved,  Govenor
Pawlenty and his transportation secretary have raised questions
about funding the operation.  The former Govenor, Jessee Ventura,
was firmly behiind the project.

SEATTLE'S SOUND TRANSIT COMMUTER RAIL to begin
service to Everett and Lakewood.  Sound Transit will pay BNSF
$224 million plus interest over 4 years for the segment between
Seattle and Everett.  Under the preliminary agreement, Sound
Transit will operate one round trip by the end of this year and
an additional three round trips later on.  Service to Lakewood will
follow later on.

TRIANGLE TRANSIT (NC) AND TRIMET plan to order DMU's
by the end of the summer.  Keep posted in Transnet.

IN DETROIT, The Detroit Transportation Corp has requested
Letters of Interest to rehab twelve Detroit People Mover units.

IN PITTSBURGH: In 2004, PAT will break ground for a 2,200
car, $30 million garage at South Hills Village and complete new
Park-n-ride lots in Bethel Park and Library.  Also the Stage II
Overbrook LRT will be completed in 2004 with changes in the
PAT LRT route structure as follows:

     -  South Hill Village or Library to downtown via Overbrook
     -  A separate line from Castle Shannon through Mount
         Lebanon, Dormont and Beechview to downtown.

This returns the LRT to the trolley car days with routes  35  and
36 thru the Overbrook valley and  42/38 from Mount Lebanon
and Dormont.  Thus the Valley Route has gone full cycle twice.
When the interurbans opened, they operated via Mt. Lebanon,
then switched to the Valley route when that opened, then switched
back to Mt Lebanon when the LRT opened, and now switch back
to the Valley Route with the opening of Stage I in 2004.

The new Overbrook line will have just 8 stops compared with 22 of the
previous Overbtook trolleu route.  Running time will be cut by
eight to 10 minutes.  A new mini-high level platform will be built
between Castle Shannon and Willow Ave to facilitate transfer between
routes.

On July 4, fireworks were displayed at the South Hills Village
PAT Maintenance base for Bethel Park and Upper St Clair Twp.
Also extra service was operated late evenings to major events
in the Golden Trianagle.

PAT HAS ALSO RECEIVED FTA APPROVAL to begin design of
the North Shore connector LRT extensions to the stadiums and the
David L Lawrence Convention Center.  The $389 million project
is scheduled for completion in 2007.  The Pittsburgh Parking
Authority is also planning an intermodal facility at the combined
Greyhound and parking structure adjacent to the new Convention
Center LRT station.

PAT has announced the elimination of their $60 pass for unlimited
rides during the summer months for teen age riders.  The pass was
eliminated as part of the severe budget crisis this year.

WASHINGTON METRO:  USA Today reports that two-thirds
of the 192 new subway cars being built by CAF have been delivered.
The manufacturer plans to deliver 8 cars per month and complete
the order by December.  The delays have cost $5.5 million with the
contractor paying half.

A derailment of a Red Line Metro train at 8.40 pm, Friday, June
12, 2003 at a switch between the Takoma and Silver Springs stations
was apparently the reult of human error.  There was no injury or
damage.  A supervisor apparently had failed to lock the switch.

Electric cables smoked and melted during testing of a Metro rail
car undergoing final tests after extensive midlife overhaul.  The car
was being tested on June 2 about 3.30 a.m.  The car was one of 364 Metro
cars being overhauled at a cost of $382.6 million by
Alstom Transportation Co. at its Hornell, NY plant.  The rail cars
were manufactured by Breda 20 years ago.  (Editor-I visited the
Hornell plant during the recent rehab of 600 CTA el cars.  It seemed
to be a very efficient plant and the CTA work appeared excellent.
Alstom is currently devivering a large order of push-pull Comet V
cars for New Jersey Transit.)

Washington Metro rail and bus fares were increased on July 1, 2003

CSXT CAMDEN LINE UPGRADE:  CSX will be installing 17,000
new ties and 4 miles of rail on the MARC Camden Line (ex B&O).
Some train cancellations and delays.  MARC also operates a service
between Washington and Baltimore on the electrified Penn line.

SMALL RAILROADS FIND THEIR NICHE: There are 13 short line
railroads in New Jersey according to the American Short Line and
Regional Railroad Association,  There are 550 in the United States.
Short lines are railroads with under $40 million operating revenue.
Regional railroads have over $40 million and less than $266 million.
Class 1 railroads like NS, CSX, BNSF, UP, CN, CP, etc. have over $266
million in operating revenues.  In New Jersey, short line and regional
railroads carry one out of four rail car loads originating or
terminating
in New Jersey according to the Star Ledger newspaper.

NJT MORRIS & ESSEX SCHEDULE CHANGES:  Effective 6/23.
Summer midday EMU trains from Dover to Hoboken were cancelled
for maintenance work and construction at the Morristown and Madison
stations.  Hourly Midtown Direct service to Penn Station will continue
with transfer for Hoboken passengers at Summit.  This change has been
in effect in previous summers.  The EMU's to Hoboken split the hourly
Midtown Direct service and provide a 30 minute headway during the
remainder of the year.  Also, NJT will offer enhanced North Jersey
Coast Line service effective June 15, 2003.

On the picturesque Gladstone Branch, schedules will be changed up to
10 minutes to accomodate the re[;acementof the Hogback Bricge.  Also
midday trains will begin and end at Stirling. <www.njtransit.com>

FROM ORANGE COUNTY, CALIFORNIA:  City of Irvine cast a confusing vote
against the OCTA 11.4 mile Central Line LRT at the
same time voting to continue LRT planning.  Orange County is
wrestling with their suburbans roots and emerging urbanism.  County
population is expected to grow about 600,000 more in twenty years.

IN BOSTON: Plans for a transit community with 343 condos within
walking distance of the MBTA Holbrook/Randolph commuter station
are being opposed by local residents because of the impact on water,
schools, sewage and congestion.  Billed as an alternate approach to
development, it turns out that these locals dont want any development.

ALSO IN BOSTON:   The new Massachusetts Bay Commuter Railroad
Co (replacing AMTRAK as operator of the MBTA Commuter rail
network) has signed labor agreements with 14 unions.  Each of the
1,500 union members signing up with the new contractor will
receive a $1,000 signing bonus along with a 20% salary increase
over 5 years.

On the rapid transit system, MBTA lost power on the entire Red and
Orange lines on Wednesday, June 13, 2003 from 11 PM to closing.
The massive outage was under investigation.

ADVANTAGES OF ACQUIRING STANDARD USED EQUIPMENT

Transnet reader John Aurelius points out the advantages of being
able to transfer standard used equipment between properties.  PCC
cars have been sold worldwide.  Previously LtWt trolleys were frequently

sold.  Salt Lake City was able to borrow DART LRV's for the Olympics.
Nurnburg subway cars were able to run in Munich for their Olympics.
A prototype TATRA car tested in New Orleans has recrossed the
Atlantic and is now being used at the route 88 in Berlin.  Sacramento
and Salt Lake City will soon be operating VTA LRV's from San Jose.
Now a question, can the large Baltimore MTA LRV's fit elsewhere?

Purchase of non-standard cars can limit their use.  Use of non-standard
designs such as BART's broad gauge is a similar limitation.  Many of
the proposed proprietary Bus Rapid Transit systems may have a similar
problem down the road.

                              OTHER NEWS

HAPPY BIRTHDAY: New York's Williamsburg Bridge was 100
years old on June 22.  The bridge carries NYCT J, M and Z trains.
LIRR trains from Rockaway shared the bridge before World War I.
B&QT streetcars used the bridge until abandonment after World War
II.  They terminated in an underground terminal at Essex Street.
This space is visible from the adjacent subway platform.  There was a
big birthday party with entertainment at Continental Army Plaza.

IN TORONTO:  TTC operated a charter for the anniversary of the
King Edward Hotel June 18, 2003 using Peter Witt car #2766.
The photos of the car indicated a beautifully maintained and painted
Peter Witt streetcar from the 1920's.  Following formation of TTC,
they standardized their equipment with a fleet of large and midsize
Peter Witt cars in the era before the PCC car.

KOREAN ANNIVERSARY:  With ceremonies in Koreatown (Flushing)
and at the Smithsonian in Washington DC, the Korean community
has just celebrated its 100th Anniversary in the USA.  They have proven
to be good citizens.  When in New York, take the #7 train to Flushing.
Interesting trip and good food.

OMAHA'S METRO AREA TRANSIT has completed the refurbishing
of the first of 10 old GMC "Old Look" model 3501-02 buses for
use on a nostalgia route in downtown Omaha.  Photos in Metro
Magazine show the first class rehabilitation.

Also in Columbus, COTA has restored new look bus #843 from
1963 for regular service being rotated on various express routes.

Metro Magazine also reported the sale by Stagecoach of its Coach USA
New England operations to Peter Pan Bus Lines of Springfield, Mass.
The sale adds 255 buses to the Peter Pan fleet, which now totals more
than 400 coaches.  The sale included Arrow Lines, Bonanza Lines, the
Maine Line, Pawtuxet Valley Lines and Coach USA Boston.  In
another transaction, Laidlaw Inc is expected to emerge from
bankruptcy, reorganize the company as Laidlaw International Inc
and move corporate hq from Burlington, Ontario to Naperville, Ill.

METRO also carried an advertisement for the current National
Trailways System listing 61 member bus lines.  Among the early
members (prewar), Adirondack Trailways, Capitol (Pa) Trailways,
Carolina Trailways and Martz Trailways are still listed.  With the
recent purchase of Coach USA lines in New England, Peter Pan is
now the largest Trailways Company with more than 400 buses.
(Editor: One of my mentors in College was Paul Howard, Night
Manager of the Adirondack Trailway's Dixie Bus Terminal.
This terminal boasted a unique turntable to access basement
platforms.  This underground area is still used for public parking
and the turntable is intact and unused.  My favorite Trailways
line was Safeway Trailways, owned by Virginia Stage Line, connecting
NYC and Washington DC.  In those days, before Turnpikes, the
bus took 8 hours over a route on US 1 via Jersey City, Newark,
New Brunswick, Trenton, Philadelphia, Oxford, Conowingo Dam,
Baltimore, Laurel and Washington.  The bus used the Jersey City
Sip Ave trolley terminal and the Public Service 13th & Filbert station.
Safeway buses were thru routed to Florida points using different
franchises.  It worked.)

PERSONNEL CHANGES:

In Chicago, former Alderman Mike Wojcik to General Manager
of Facilities and Capital Projects for the Chicago Transit Authority.
The Alderman stepped aside when the boundaries of the 30th Ward
were redrawn to make the Ward more Hispanic and less Polish.

In Detroit, Transnet reader Bob Newhouser reports that former NYCT
Superintendent Marisol Simon is now Deputy Director of D-DOT.  She
is apparently interested in rehabiliating and perhaps expanding the
historical trolley for the 2006 Detroit Super Bowl.  The present trolley

apparently still runs sporadically.

In Louisville:  Transnet reader John Woodford, Assistant Executive
Director of TARC is retiring after 25 years of service.  Best Wishes.

In Chicago: The future for bus drivers is promising.  More than 500
drivers were hired in the past year.  This year they planned on 1,400
but projections show that only 1,100 will be hired.  In the next couple
of years, many senior drivers will be retiring.  The starting rate is
$13
an hour, graduates up to more than $20 in 48 months.   Transit should
consider transit classes at vocational schools.  Driving a bus is a
good job.  Part time and seniors offer other opportunities.

IS THIS CORRECT GROWTH OR SUICIDE?:  JetBlue orders one hundred Regional
Jets from Brazil's Embraer for $3 billion.  They
previously owned an all 757 fleet.

     PENNSYLVANIA TROLLEY MUSEUM NEWS:

The Museum began its 40th year of public operation in April 2003
with a new exhibit "On the Car Line: Pittsburgh and Points South".

"An uplifting event at PTM" was announced in the March-April
2003 issue of Trolley Fare.  The museum has acquired two Pettibone
ex-US Army mobile cranes through the government's surplus
equipment program.  Their acquisition highlights the role of
off-rail maintenance equipment at museums.  PTM has acquired
a large fleet of such equipment to facilitate maintenance and
construction.  Want to contribute? Send check to PTM
at 1 Museum Road, Washington, Pa. 15301.  I have been a PTM
member since 1950 when I joined the Pgh Railways Club.

Or contribute to your local museum for their off-rail equipment.

HOT-OFF-THE-PRESS PUBLICATIONS AT PTM.
2004 Western Pa. trolley calendar, Pgh Railways History Vol 1,
McKeesport Trolleys.  Details-FAX 1-724-228 9675 or phone
1-724-228-9256.  <www.pa-trolley.org>

DISPOSITION OF LVT CARS:  Transnet reader Karl Groh and
friend Bruce Elfreth report that a third ex-LVT car has been preserved
at the Rio Vista museum.

                       IN NEW JERSEY

A LIFETIME OF PUBLIC SERVICE:  The Star Ledger newspaper
reported on the history of the Public Srevice Corp's 100 years in NJ.
Founded by Thomas Nesbit McCarter in 1903, Public Service has
changed from the primary transportation system in the state to its
present role as Public Service Electric & Gas/Public Service Enterprise
Group.  Here is the Public Service story from the 6/15/03 Star Ledger:

     -     1825: New Jersey's first utility-Paterson Gas Light Co
                    is chartered.  Begins operation in 1847.

     -     1903: Hq 776 Broad Street, Newark.
                     Transportation, gas and electric
                     Electric customers: 16,190
                     10,000 employees (1909)
                     Revenue: $9.46 million
                     Eventually acquires 113 transportation companies
                     and 149 gas and electric companies in New Jersey.
                     In 1903, McCarter saw transportation as the
companies
                     primary business.  By World War II,  utilities has
won out.
     -      1908: Public Service trolley fare: 5 cents per zone
     -      1913: PS opens first trans-state rail  network from Hoboken
                      to Camden.  Buys land on Park Place for
headquarters.
     -      1916: Massive trolley Newark Termnal Building opens at
                      80 Park Place.  Nearby intersection of Broad &
Market
                      was the nation's busiest trolley intersection.
550 cars
                      passed through it in the peak hour.
     -      1916: (Editor-Uses extensive shop facilities at Ferry Street

                     to build and rehab extensive trolley fleet, then
early
                     "All Service" ETB vehicles and gas/electric and
diesel
                     buses. In 1953, facility used to place PCC cars in
service.
     -      1924: From McGraw Electric Railway Journal: Public Service
Ry
                      operating 846.616 miles of track (625.465 in city
streets).
                      2,298 cars (including 502 open), 4' 8 1/2" gauge
(except
                      wide gauge in Camden.
     -      1924: (Editor-Morris Canal later to be used for City subway
abd.
     -      1927:  PS carried a record 450 million passengers statewide.

     -      1935: (Editor-May 26: Newark City Subway opens from Heller
                      Parkway to Broad Street.)
     -      1937: (Editor-Begins streetcar abandonment program in
earnest.
                      Acquires large fleet of gas-electric "All Service"

                      ETB vehicles)
     -      1937: June 10 -subway extended from Broad St to Penn
Station..
                      Also Cedar Street subway connected from Pub;ic
Service
                      Building to Penn station.
     -      1938: April 30:Last streetcar passes thru Terminal to Penn
Sta.
                     (Editor: The Newark Terminal building was a
multi-level
                     traction terminal.  Cars from the west entered by
the
                     Cedar Street subway to loop tracks which were
extended
                     to Penn Station  in 1937.  Cars (and  buses)
entered from
                     Street via ramps to second floor loop tracks.
Buses loaded
                     at the curb on Park Place and in the alley behind.
                     The main (or ground) floor contained terminal and
                     ticket offices, wating rooms and access to the
upper
                     stories of the office building.  It was a handsome
building.
                     My father took me there at age 9 and I was
impressed.
     -      1939: At age 72, founder Thomas McCarter retires to the
                      position of Chairman of the Board. (Editor-Street
in
                      Newark later named McCarter Highway)
     -      1940: (Editor-November 22: City Subway extended from
                     Heller Parkway to N. 6th Street, changed to
Franklin Ave.)
     -      1941: (Editor-Hudson Division resumes trolley service to
                      Western Electric and Federal Shipbuilding from
                      Exchange Place and Journal Sq.  During the war, I
                      worked for my father's agency and went every
Friday
                      to South Kearney to pick up advertising copy from
                      Western Electric.  By trolley of course.)
     -      1947:  (Editor-Begins abandonment of remaining Hudson and
                      Essex Division streetcars except for Newark City
Subway.
                      December 14, - Last day of #23 - Central streetcar

                      Discontinues "All Service" vehicle operation.)
     -      1948: Merges utility businesses into PS Electric & Gas
     -      1951: (Editor-March 1 - Last day of #21-Orange streetcar)
     -      1952: (Editor-March 30 - Last Day of #29 and #21-Roseville
                    Acquires 30 PCC cars for Newark City Subway
                     from Twin City Rapid Transit)
     -      1953: (Editor-December 20 - Franklin Ave loop completed)
     -      1954: (Editor-January 8 - PCC car #10 enters Newark City
                      Subway service.  February 5 - First day of all PCC
opn.)
     -      1970: Adopts new PSEG logo in place of historic triangle
patch.
                     (Editor Similar triangle logos were used by West
Penn
                     Power in Pennsyvania and others.)
     -      1971: Name of transit division chnged to Transport of NJ
     -      1977: Opens Salem 1 nuclear plant in South Jersey
     -      1980: New Hq opens to the rear of 80 Park Pl at 80 Park
Plaza
     -      1980: Sells Transport of NJ subsidiary to NJ Transit
     -      1990: A subsidiary begins developoping power plants
nationwide
     -      1992: Congress passes Energy Policy Deregulation Act
     -      1999: State energy deregulation bill is signed into law
     -      2003: Hq 80 Park Plaza, Newark
                     Gas, electric, developing power plants and energy
trading
                     10,500 employees, 2 milion electric customers
                     Revenue $8.4 bilion in 12 states, 10 foreign
countries

SUBSEQUENT IMPORTANT DATES FOR NEW JERSEY TRANSIT:
      -      1980:  PS sells Transport of NJ to NJ Transit
      -      2001:  August 24-Last day of PCC operation in Newark subway

                        August 27-First day of Low Floor LRV service
      -      2002:  Extension of LRT service To Belleville and
Bloomfield
             2003:  Extension to NJ Performing Arts Center and Broad
                       Street-M&E Newark station in planning.
(Editor-Quite a history of one of America's largest transit systems.
They did an excellent job for decades despite their overall anti-rail
attitude.  For more information about the Newark City Subway, see
July-December 2001 issue of ERA Headlights)

NJ TRANSIT CONTRACT AWARDS:  On June 11, 2003, the NJT
Board awarded three contracts to advance final design and
construction work on the Broad Street extension of the City subway
to the M&E station and to modernize the tunnel ventilation
system.  The contracts totak approximately $90 million.

IN TORONTO: I received an email photo of LRT #4217 with a
full body wrap for Becks Beer except for Red & Black TTC
colors on the front end and and a clear windshield and driver's
side window.  It is far the most ugly advertising car I have
ever viewed.  Transit should not do this to their image.  Our mod
paint jobs in Pittsburgh never covered the windows.  I believe
in advertising but this is too much.  What was nice was the Rt 49
red, white and blue sightseeing car in Pittsburgh with a simple
message "Give a toot for Hornes (Department) store."

DEATHS: Margaret A. McGonigal, age 68, former CONRAIL
Asst Terminal Mgr of the FlexFlow rail terminals in Secaucus and
Port Elizabeth.  She had 35 years of service starting with the Central
RR of New Jersey

EVENTS

IN CHICAGO: Saturdays thru September 27: Loop the Loop Tour
Train.  FREE.  from Randolph & Wabash.  Tickets from the Chicago
Cultural Center at 77 East Randolph Street.  Phone 1-877-244-2246

At the trolley museums: Lots of summertime action.  Check out
PTM, RTY, IRM, Fox River, East Troy and Rio Vista.  Don't waste
the summer.  Visit these and the other trolley museums.

IN NEW JERSEY: NJERHS meeting in Linden at American
Legion Hall-Thomas Jones of MBS-railroad company owned
buses. Tuesday, July 15, 2003.

FROM NEW YORK CITY: Metropolitan NY Bus Association
trip to Ottawa and Montreal-August 16 to 19, 2003.  Visit
SYRACUSE, ON-Track RDC'S, kINGSTON, MONTREAL, OTTAWA.
(BUSWAY & DMU), HULL, CORNWALL AND WATERTOWN
TRANSIT S SYSTEMS.  $290 each (two in a room)  or $415 single.
Write Gary Grahl, 1425 Thieriot Ave, 6L, Bronx, NY 10460.
Order by July 23 to qualify for group hotel rate.
ALSO: MYSTERY TRIP ON SATURDAY, OCTOBER 18, 2003.

IN SAN DIEGO: TRB workshop on Bus Rapid Transit-August
24-25, 2003.  <http://gulliver.trb.org/conferencez/VHA-BRT>

IN SINGAPORE:  9th International Conference on Automated
People Movers-September 2 to 5, 2003.  Organized by ACE-
Singapore and ASCE. Website: <http://www.apm2003.com.sg>

IN SALT LAKE CITY: APTA 2003 Annual Meeting-September
28 to October 2, 2003.  LRT Extension from the university to
the hosipital should open then.

IN EASTERN EUROPE: CERA tour of Baltic republics and
and St Petersburg.  May 17-30, 2004.  More details in the
next issue of Transnet.  Contact: <[email-masked]>

IN PITTSBURGH:  A $1 million eastern corridor study is reaching
its final stages.  The first public meeting was held on June 16 at
5-8 pm at the Allegheny County Community College, Monroevlle.
Other public meetings were held in Greensburg, Pittsburgh,
Oakland and Oakmont.  Details <www.idegold.com> or
<www.spcregion.org>

IN PHILADELPHIA: "Sleep Over...You just cant do it in a day".
Hotel package, second night free.  <www.gophila.com>  Visit
Philadelphia and see SEPTA City Division, Regional Rail and
the suburban trolleys #101 and #102 and the Norristown#100 line.
Also PATCO and NJ Transit to Atlantic City.

CANAL DAYS AT WATERLOO VILLAGE IN BRYAN TWP. NJ:
The Canal Society of NJ held its 8th annual Canal Days on June 14.
The Morris Canal was featured.  It had a 102 mile route from Jersey
City to Phillipsburg via Newark, Clifton, Little Falls, Boonton &
Netcong.  The Morris Canal climbed 914' to its summit at Lake
Hopatcong and then dropped 760' to the Delaware River, a total
rise and fall of 1,674' in 90 miles.  In contrast, the Suez Canal rises
only 85' and the Erie Canal 700'.  For the Morris, it was all done
with 32 locks and 23 inclined planes.  The Canal closed in 1924.
The section in Newark became the r/w of the Newark City Subway.

MUSEUM EVENTS:  NYC Metropolitan Museum of Art through
August 17.  Manet and the American Civil War.  USS Kearsarge vs
CSS Alabama.  Also at the United States Holocaust Museum in
Washington, DC. through September 12.  Anne Frank, the writer.

ATTEND A MILITARY REUNION:  Are you a Vet?  Have
you ever attended your unit's reunion?  Last year, Transnet
reader Robert Rynerson of Denver RTD attended one in
Berlin.  This year I plan to attend the Pittsburgh Air Defense
reunion in Pittsburgh on Saturday, October 11, 2003.  I was part
of the NIKE missile defense of Pittsburgh.

INTERESTED IN LATIN AMERICA RAIL? Read Bimonthly "Latin
Tracks" Email contact <[email-masked]>

HIGH SPEED CATAMARAN: Boston to Provincetown in 90 minutes.
Contact <bostonharborcruises.com>

ABOUT ATA AIRLINES:  Recently I again travelled to Chicago
on ATA Airlines.  The planes were new 757's, the crews excellent
and the price low.  This is a long time charter airline operating
a major hub in Chicago.  It uses Midway Airport with its convenient
CTA route to downtown.  Try it.  Visit "ata.com" today.

DEATH PAYMENTS:  Rush Limbaugh has pointed out what we pay to
a service person killed in the war.  Surviving family member receives
a $6,000 direct death benefit, half of which is taxable.  Next comes
$1,750 for burial costs and a survivng spouse receives $833 per month
until remarry.  Each child receives $211 per month until age 18.
Compare to some of the  9/11 settlements and what a Congressman
receives on retirement.  Worth reading and thinking about.

IN THE UNITED KINGDOM:  Since the 1930's, the U.K. has had
the Royal British Legion which raises money for servicemen.

USA TO FRANCE: "Merci" for flying out 103 Americans from
war-torn Liberia in Africa.  A French spokeswoman said that
the rescue marked the third time in three months that French
troops evacuated Americans from troubled West African nations.

HELP US UNDERSTAND OUR NEW POSITION IN THE WORLD.
                     WE CANT DO THIS ALONE.

HAROLD H GEISSENHEIMER
1-973-292 2916