Subject: TRANSNET#118
From: Harold Geissenheimer <[email-masked]>
To: HAROLD GEISSENHEIMER <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 23:42:51 -0400

THIS IS TRANSNET #118, YOUR #1 TRANSIT NEWS SOURCE

        FLY THE FLAG ON JUNE 14, 2003.  ITS FLAG DAY

                     THANK YOU U.S. NAVY

WELCOME HOME: U.S. Navy carrier Constellation has returned
to home port at San Diego on June 2, 2003.  The 5,000 sailors
completed a seven month tour at sea.  Constellation's planes
flew more than 1,500 missions and dropped more than 1.2 million pounds
of ordinance.  In August, the carrier will be decommissioned.
with the new $4.6 billion USS Ronald Reagan taking its place next year.
Thanks to all of our service personnel for a job well done.

GOING BACK IN HISTORY:  First flight from a U.S. Navy ship
by Eugene Ely in a Curtiss pusher plane off Hampton Roads, Va.
from the cruiser Birmingham on November 14, 1910.  Congratulations
to the sailors and aviators of the U.S. Navy carrier force for almost
a century of dedicatd service.

GERMANY RESOLUTE AFTER KABUL, AFGHANISTAN ATTACK
Germany says the death of four of its peacekeepers in a bomb attack
would not lead to any troop withdrawal from the country.  An
"International presence in Afghanistan must be ensured", German
Defense Minster Peter Struck said.  Transnet readers are reminded
of the troops serving in Afghanistan with us.   These include Dutch
and Spanish forces.  Despite the politics in Iraq, we are not alone.

        WELCOME TO TRANSNET #118

MORE IMPORTANT EVENTS AND OPENING DAYS

SANTA CLARA: Valley Transportation Authority (VTA) welcomes
APTA to the 2003 Rail Transit Conference, June 7 to 11, 2003.
Starting with the Rail Rodeo and various committee meetings,
APTA highlighted rail operations and developments.

San Jose is the eleventh largest city in the USA.  VTA operates 50
LRV's serving  46 stations along 30.5 miles of track.  VTA has
received 30 of 100 new low floor LRV's from KinkiSharyo.
The 50 present high floor cars will then be sold to Salt Lake City
and Sacramento.

VTA has been faced with acute financial problems due to the
national economic decline which is even more severe in the
Silicon Valley.  Service was reduced 9% in April and currently VTA is
proposing fare increases and other service reductions.

NEWS FLASH:  The Spanish state railway RENFE reported a
June 4, 2003 head-on collision between a diesel powered freight train
and a TALGO passenger train.  The accident occurred at 2140 local
time on a single track section near Chinchilla.  The Talgo was
southbound from Madrid to Cartagena on the coast.  Renfe oprates four
daily Talgo round trips in this service.  This train left Madrid
at 1905 for the 3 hour 45 minute run. (Editor: Check out the RENFE
(in English) site for timetables and system information.)

RENFE said that the passenger train was given permission to leave
Chinchilla indicating possible human error.  14 passengers and 5
crew members were killed in this accident.  The freight diesel engine
catapulted over the passenger train, destroying the first carriage by
fire.  (Editor: BBC news provides the best source of news of overseas
rail accidents,  Contact <news.bbc.co.uk>)

            RECENT IMPORTANT EVENTS

UTAH TRANSIT AUTHORITY displayed the prototype Colorado
Railcar Co DMU at Draper and Lehi on May 27 and 28, 2003.
The DMU could be used on the 175 miles of rail corridor purchased
by the UTA last year from the U.P.  The new car costs about $3 million
but can operate in mixed traffic with freight trains.  It is equipped
with
two 600 HP diesel engines and can travel up to 90 MPH.  A test run
for invited guests was made from Pleasant Grove to the Utah
Southern Railroad depot in Lehi.  Interesting is the fuel efficiency of
the
DMU.  it gets two miles to the gallon of diesel fuel as opposed to one
third of a gallon per mile for a diesel locomotive.  I rode a demo
ride at the Pueblo Test Site last September and was very pleased.

After exhibition at the APTA rail meeting in San Jose, the DMU
will next be on display at the Amtrak Salinas station on June 14, 2003.

LIRR M-1 CARS TO MEXICO:  It has been reported that ex-LIRR
MU cars have been transported to the Bombardier plant in Sakahin,
Mexico for rebuilding as push-pull diesel coaches.  Four cars leave once

or twice a week from Fresh Pond yard on flat cars for Mexico.
These are of Budd stainless steel construction and should give years
of good service.  Apparently they will be used to establish commuter
rail service some where in Mexico.   These cars can only be used at high

platform stations.

Years ago, NYW&B EMU's were demotored and operated by the
Maritime Service to World War II shipyards.  NJT has demotored
early Arrow EMU's for use on various diesel push-pull lines.  Some
are cab cars.  USA PCC cars have operated in Mexico City & Tampico.
Earlier, various Pacific Electric cars (including PCC's) were sold to
Argentina.  Many USA ETB's have been sold to Mexico.

IN PARIS: May 17 to June 15, 2003-Champs-Elysees for "Le
Train Capitale" exhibit.  TGV, ICE and other high speed trains.
Siemens displayed their Avanto tram-train on the Place de la
Concorde.  A major display of many types of rail equipment.

IN GERMANY: In the former East Germany, the SRS (Schoneicher-
Rudersdoirfer Strassenbahn ) route 87 (from Rahnsdorf S-Bahn
station (on Erkner line)) is now operating the TATRA T5 demonstrator
that operated for several months in New Orleans.  This double ended
LRV is perhaps the only post war car to make a round trip across
the Atlantic.  Built by TATRA in Prague, it was sent to New Orleans
to show modern single unit LRV technology.  Money ran out and
when TATRA was acquired by Siemens,  the car was repatriated to
Europe and refurbished.  It now runs in off-peak service on this
isolated standard gauge suburban tramway,  Service is every 20
minutes serving Waltersdorf and Wortersdorfer Schleuse from Rahnsdorf.

SRS route 87 celebrated it's 90th birthday in May.    Service
started on May 17, 1913 on this 10 stop, 5.6 km suburban line
operated by SRS that also operates route 88 (metre gauge) from the
Friedrichshagen S-Bahn station.  The two lines offer an interesting
comparison with the large Berlin tramway sysem.

AU REVOIR: AIR FRANCE RETIRES CONCORDE: Air France
made its last flight from NY to Paris on May 31, 2003.  British Air
will end their service in October.  Twelve of the 20 original Concordes
built in the early 1970's remain.  All will now find their way to
museums.  (Editor- I flew Concorde in the late 1980's between JFK
and Jamaica.  Air Jamaica leased the BA plane for a weekly round trip.
The price was right, the service and timing excellent.  I returned on
a leased Aer Lingus 747 after riding the Jamaican Railway across
the island, much of it in the cab of an Alstom built diesel locomotive.)

AIR CANADA reached a cost cutting  pact with its 3,400 pilots and
prevented grounding the 11th largest airline in the world.

                        OPENING DAYS

IN MIAMI: The Miami-Dade Transit Agency opened the Palmetto
Extension on May 30, 2003.  The station is located in the town of
Medley, Florida.  It is the 22nd in the Metrorail system and the
first new station to open since 1989.  The extension is 1.4 miles
long, half on elevated guideway and half at grade.  Parking is
provided for 710 cars.  Metrorail plans to begin 24 hour metro
service on June 8, 2003.

IN CINCINNATI: SORTA dedicated it's new Riverside Transit
Center on May 19, 2003.  The center is located in a long tunnel
almost three quarters of a mile long and serves two major league
sports attractions.  As many as 500 buses per hour can be
accomodated.  This includes transit, charter and school buses
for major events.  The transit portion costs $23 million.

By contrast, the practical bus roadway and loop around the Three
Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh was eliminated at the new stadiums.
Bus riders must now walk over the bridge from downtown.  The
proposed extension of the T Light Rail line from downtown will
serve the stadiums.

IN PITTSBURGH:  East (MLK) Busway Extension to open on June 15.
The 2.3 mile extension from Wilkinsburg to Swissvale and Rankin
will open after more than 15 years of discussion, planning, design
and constuction.  The extension connects to the original 6.8 mile
Busway  to  East Liberty and downtown.  Initially only three routes
will use the busway...East Busway All-stops (EBA), Oakland (EBO)
and Express (EBX).  A number of Mon Valley routes will be diverted
to the Busway later this year with the completion of the Kenmawr
Ave access ramp.  The long delay reflects community NIMBY
opposition, delays with the contractor, negotiations with the rail-
road and special insurance for NS.  The extension is now
estimated to cost $68.8 million.  Continued political opposition
by Edgewood Boro officials will delay the linear park, renovation
of the historical railroad station, a pedestrian overpass and a bus
stop will not be built in Edgewood until additional funding is
available.  Like Orange County, California and other projects,
unwarranted community opposition eventually costs every one
more money.  There must be a better way!  In this case, Edgewood
wanted the entire busway converted to a light rail line.  Clearly a
case of the tail (2.3 miles) wagging the dog (6.8 miles).

A map in the June 7 issue of the Pgh Post Gazette shows new
stops at Hay Street, Hamnet Station (110 parking spaces),
Roslyn Street and Swissvale Station (130 parking spaces).  The
present end of the line at Wilkinsburg has 574 parking spaces.
The busway is on the east side of the N-S r/w (the former PRR
mainline). As stated, there are no stops or improvements in
Edgewood.

(Editor: The existing busway opened in the early 1980's continues
 to do very well.  EBA service is usually operated with articulated
buses.
The roadway designed by Michael Baker Engineers has high speed
operation, good stations and excellent ramps and decelleration lanes.
When the Busway was in planning, I advoctated the EBA all stop
service because of the high ridership on adjacent street car and
bus lines.  This proved to be correct and EBA is one of PAT's best
routes.)

OTHER OPENINGS

June 21, 2003: Ride Free from 3 to 8 PM on new BART extension to
Airport & Millbrae.  Regular service opens June 22, 2003.  Connecting
Caltrain service starts Monday, June 23.

June 29, 2003: PATH reopens Exchange Place Station.

May 14, 2003: The Detroit Transportation Corp., operator of the
Detroit People Mover,  reopened the twelfth of the systems thirteen
stations at Cadillac Center.  The station was closed for 32 months
during the large scale construction of Compuware World Hq.
The people mover is a 2.9 mile loop in downtown Detroit.  (Editor:
Does the city owned downtown vintage street car still operate?
Transnet readers are invited to give current details.)

IN CHARLOTTE:  The Charlotte Trolley may roll this fall.  They
have leased two new replica streetcars from the Little Rock historical
streetcar pending delivery next year of their own replica cars.  Also
the Transit Board approved spending $5.2 million on rebuilding the
old trolley barn on South Blvd at Bland Street.  The old barn was the
scene of a police shooting of 5 streetcar workers in a 1919 labor
dispute.  The leased yellow cars were built by Gomaco for the trolley
u/c in Little Rock.  They will join the present 1927 Charlotte steet car

in a 7 day service, morning to night, 7 days a week, serving both
uptown workers and conventioneers at the Charlotte Convention
Center.  Watch Transnet for opening date.

BETWEEN PORTLAND AND ASTORIA:  The Lewis & Clark
Explorer Train using ex-BCR RDC's began operation on May
23, 2003.  The line will run until September 2, 2003.  One way fares
cost $24.  The operation is part of the Lewis & Clark bicentennial
celebration.  (Editor-A question?  Is the Astoria streetcar operating
this year?  They use an ex-San Antonio streetcar towing a diesel
generator.  If you know, please email me. Thanks.)

PHILADELPHIA SEPTA:  Route 15 Girard Ave is being rehabilitated
to use rebuilt PCC cars.  It is expected to open in 2004.

WASHINGTON METRO: WMATA expects to open it's two station
extension of the Blue line from Addison Road at Largo Town Center
(Summerfield Road is the intermediate station)  in late 2004.  This is
the first Metro line to extend beyond the Capital Beltway in Prince
Georges County, Md.  It is part surface, part cut-and-cover subway
and then aerial over the Beltway.

Metro will also open a new surface station on the Red Line (between
Union Station and Rhode Island Ave) at New York Ave in late 2004.

LAS VEGAS MONORAIL TRAIN TO ARRIVE ON JUNE 24, 2003.
The first of nine Monorail trains built by Bombadier will arrive in
Las Vegas this month.  The seven station line is expected to open
in 2004.

BROOKLYN BUS TOUR RETURNS:     Grey Line New York
Sightseeing resumed a Brooklyn tour bus from lower Manhattan
on May 11, 2003 using three single deck "trolley replica" buses.
(Editor: The popular NYCT Culture bus operated a Brooklyn
route in addition to Manhattan and Bronx tours in the 1970's).

OTHER NEWS ITEMS:

US FACES CRITICAL GAS SHORTAGE:  Spencer Abraham,
the US energy secretary, has called an emergency meeting of the
National Petroleum Council as supplies  reached critically low levels
and may be inadequte to meet summer demands.   Transit agencies
switching to CNG or LNG may pay more or be cut off.

TRY TRANSIT WEEK IN CLEVELAND:  GCRTA celebrated
Try Transit Week June 2-6, 2003.

100TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE DELIVERY OF THE PARLOR
TROLLEY CAR "BERKSHIRE HILLS":  Wason Car Co of
Springfield, Mass. delivered this magnificent parlor car to the
Berkshire Street Railway of Pittsfield, MA.  The car was of
wooden construction painted bright yellow.  A unique feature
was the location of the doors and steps across part of the
front             and rear of this double ended car.

The car ran for about ten years and was then stored in the rear of the
Hosatonic carhouse.  The car body was sold as a diner about 1930
in West Pittsfield.

(The Connecticut Co in New Haven also had a beautiful wooden
parlor car #500.  This had conventional side steps and doors.
I rode this car on several occasions around New Haven in the
mid l940's  The car is presently at the Shoreline Trolley Museum
at Branford.  Ride this 3 mile long trolley line this summer.
(Phone 1-203-467-6927).  Also visit the Connecticut Trolley Museum
at East Windsor-Warehouse Point. (Phone 1-860-623-7417).

MUSEUM OF BUS TRANSPORTATION near Hershey, Pa. will
open on June 29, 2003.  Contact John Dockendorf at 1-717-787 1220.

AND AT THE NY TRANSIT MUSEUM:  When the museum reopens
it's Brooklyn facility later this year, there will be an enlarged "On
The
Streets" exhibit dedicated to the 13,000 workers in the NYCT
Department of Buses.  (<www.mta.info>)

CELEBRATE THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION'S 225TH ANNIVERSARY AT VALLEY FORGE
AND NEARBY SITES.
June 21-22, 2003: March-out of Valley Forge by Washington's troops.
(www.valleyforge.org)

FARE INCREASES

IN BUFFALO: The Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority will
raise fares from $1.25 to $1.50 effective Sunday, June 1, 2003.  Senior
and reduced fares will increase from $.55 to $.65.  The increase will
generate an addiional $2.1 million.  Monthly passes will increase
from $44 to $55.  NFT operates both buses and the 10 km 14 station
light rail system opened in 1985.

AT MARC COMMUTER RAIL: Fares to be increased 75 cents on
June 30, 2003.  Also 2 evening trains on the Camden line will be
eliminated and 2 evening trains on the Brunswick line combined.

IN LOS ANGELES: The LACMTA 2004 budget restructures fares
effective January 1, 2004.  The $42 monthly pass will be increased
by $10 while the one way fare of $1.25 wll be reduced by ten cents.
The budget also calls for various reductions in operating costs.

IN BOSTON: MBTA is proposing raising subway fares to $1.25 from
$1.00 on January 1, 2004.  This fare increase is to be reviewed by the
Conservation Law Foundation and the city's On The Move Coalition.

AND IN NEW YORK:
The MTA fare increase continues until their appeal is decided.
Another Judge suspended the Tunnel/Bridge increase but this
increase will also continue until their appeal is decided.

                         TRAIN TO THE PLANE

TRAIN TO THE PLANE:  Last year I reported on an airport train
meeting in New York.  Allowing checkin before boarding the train
is a desired goal.  In the UK, the Heathrow Express and the Gatwick
Express have developed check in and baggage handling procedures.
It has been stated that the JFK Airtrain would have such a provision.

Two other airport connections inaugurated last year have advanced
the procedure.  In Germany, the DB ICE 3 train between Frankfurt
and Koln and between Frankfurt and Stuttgart allow passengers
to check in at the Lufthansa counter 20 minutes before the train
departure for thru baggage to connecting flights in Frankfurt.
An article shows the baggage being moved thru the station in
large locked compartments.  This service is called AlRail, a
cooperation of the Frankfurt Airport, DB and Lufthansa.  It
opened on

Lufthansa and DB have long experimented with connecting trains from
the Frankfurt airport.  They used sets of EMU high speed trains
painted in Lufthansa yellow.  I first encountered these at a rail
show in Berlin in the 1970's before a decision was made to go
with the ICE train concept.  This service ended in the early 1990's.
I rode this train via the Rhine River route to Bonn, Koln and
Dusseldorf shortly before it was discontinued.  The difference from then
to now is that they now use reserved seats on a regular ICE 3 train
as opposed to operating a special Lufthansa train for their passengers.

The other train to the plane application is in Madrid a new
subway line.  Full details in a future issue of Transnet.

SALUTE TO OUR PUERTO RICAN HEROES: June 7, 2003
at 2 PM at the Newark, New Jersey Public Library.  Free
screening of a new documentary film, "The Puerto Rican
Soldier".  Units of the P.R. National Guard have served our
nation for 100 years.  (Editor-When visiting the island with
an American of Puerto Rican descent, we went several times
to say hello to his family members, which included several
retired US Army members.  Those of us on the main land do
not always remember their contributions.  Units of the P.R.
National Guard are now on active duty.  Want to remember
their contribution?  If you go to the opening of Tren Urbano
later this year, stop at a P.R.National Guard Armory and say hello.

June 8, 2003 was the Puerto Rico Day parade in New York City.
about 800,000 US Citizens of P.R. heritage live in New York.

NEW REPORT SUPPORTS STRENGTHENING- NOT REPLACING -
AMTRAK:   Unveiled on June 4, 2003, a report entitled "Amtrak
Privatization: The Route to Failure" by Elliott D Sclar, Professor of
Urban Planning and Public Affairs at Columbia University.  He was
joined at the news conference by Transnet reader and long time
friend Vukan Vuchic, Professor of Transportation at the University
of Pennsylvania.  For a release of the news report. go to the Economic
Policy Institute's  web site.   The full report is available from the
Institute, 1660 L Stfreet, suite 1200, Washington, DC 20036.

        TRIP REPORT: EUROPE RE-VISITED (CONTINUED)

   COUNTRY PROFILES: PART II-FORMER EAST GERMANY

Part I of my trip report covering my recent trip to The Netherlands
was contained in Transnet #117.  In this issue of Transnet, my
trip report covering the former East Berlin and East Germany
is continued.

I travelled via DB ICE high speed train from Amsterdam to
Berlin via Duisburg.  This 717 km journey ended with a high
speed run over the high speed corridor across East Germany
where the train reached a top speed of 250 kmh covering 243 km
overall in 80 minutes.

My train arrived at the Zoo Bahnhof in the former West Berlin
area.   From here, the train continued to the Oustbahnhof
on the shared elevated corridor (but not tracks) with the Berlin
S-Bahn.  The Zoo Bahnhof is the meeting place of through trains,
S-Bahn trains, U-Bahn  trains and a major surface bus terminal.

Walking to the Mark Hotel, I stopped at the BGV ticket office
on the plaza outside the Bahnhof to purchase a 3 day ticket and secure
various maps and publicity material.

My goals were to update myself on the changes in the past 5 years
as the city took its place as the nation's capitol and to return to
the former East Berlin and East Germany that I had visited both
before and after the unification.  Naturally the merger of the
transit network was the keystone of this study.  But also I have
always studied the role of this great city as it passed through various
political eras from the Kaiser to World War I to the 1920's era
to Hitler Days to World War II to destruction to the creation of the
4 zone division and the Berlin Wall to the re-unification of the
city and nation.  A city must be measured over decades.  London
lived through the bombings, many US cities through the 1960
civil distrurbances.  The life of the city continues no matter what.

                 TRANSIT IN GERMANY

The German transit network consists of:

     -    U Bahn (rapid transit) systems in 4 cities: Berlin, Hamburg,
          Munich and Nurnberg
     -    S Bahn-DB networks in many regions: Berlin (800 V dc third
          rail), Hamburg (1.2 k V dc third rail),  overhead powered
          tunnels and rail lines in numerous cities such as Munich
          and diesel powered rail lines elsewhere.
     -    Light Rail and Tramway systems in 53 cities (Second to
          Russia with over 75 systems.)  Many of these systems include
          multi-station tram subways and semi-rapid transit tramways.
     -    Dual Power LRT/DB lines in 3 areas: Karlsruhe, Kassel
           and Saarbrucken
     -    Suspended Monorail of Langen system: Wuppertal
     -    Electric Trolley Buses: Solingen, Essen, Esslingen and
Eberwalde
     -    DB, regional rail and so called private railroads using new
fleets
          of DMU's
     -    Regional and local bus systems
     -    Various tourist and scenic lines

INTERESTING BACK GROUND:

THE HISTORIC RAPID TRANSIT-BUS-TRAMWAY CONFLICT

In the post World War II era, many cities were caught up in the trend
to replace street car and tramway systems with networks of subway/
rapid transit lines and bus lines.  Often non-transportation matters
influenced these decisions.  This trend eliminated tramways in all
but one UK system (in Blackpool), all but three French systems
(in Lille, Marseille and St Etienne), all but one Canadian system
(Toronto), all but seven US systems (Boston, Newark, Philadelphia,
Pittsburgh, Shaker Heights, New Orleans and San Francisco).  Similar
events occurred in Madrid, Barcelona, Stockholm and Tokyo among others.
Germany soon became a battle ground.  For reasons partially
related to the division of the city, West Berlin greatly expanded it's
U-Bahn system and bus network.  Because of a lack of funding,
this did not occur in East Berlin.  There was limited subway expansion
and the tramway system was expanded and modernizd.  Elsewhere
in Germany, Hamburg followed the trend and eliminated tramcars
in the early 1970's.  When I first visited Munich, the battle had
moved there.  Staff from Hamburg came to work there and it looked
like the days of the Munich tramway were numbered.

But planners, transit professionals and manufacturers entered the
battle.  They found that the public really liked tram cars and street
cars.  First with the production of many Duewag articulated cars
in Germany and Austria along with the development of the PCC
car in the Low Lands and by Tatra in the East Bloc, the stage was
set for the birth of the modern light rail system.  Hannover and
Frankfurt took the lead and suddenly there was a better alternative.
Both political leaders and passengers realized that we needed
environmentally clean and fuel efficient trams that could serve both
city centers and the region.

New light rail lines were also springing up in the USA, Canada, France
and the UK.  City after city realized that their initial decision
to abandon rail in the 1950's and 1960's needed a second look.
Countries like Switzerland, Belguim and The Netherlands took the
lead in advancing their tramways.

An understanding of this situation is necessary when looking at
the overall transit scene in Berlin.  In the former west, there was
a large subway and bus network.  In the former east, there was a
large tramway system with a reduced subway and bus network.
Munich had decided to retain its remaining trams and Hamburg
is planning light rail lines.  New lowfloor tramway technology
became available.  New subway construction is very expensive
and there was a large investment in the tramways.  Berliners
visited other German cities and discovred that tramways and
light rail could be attractive and efficient.  So suddenly BVG
became the operator of a very large tram system of over 1000 cars.

Over time there will be reductions in this tramway network
but there will also be extensions and new lines.  Several lines
now enter the west to connect with U-Bahn lines.  A large fleet
of new low floor articulated cars has been acquired, many operating
in two unit trains.  Tramway service has returned to the plaza
at Alexander platz (location of the TV tower) .  There are numerous
track and infrastructure improvements.  These are tramway
improvements in the center city but there are also light rail
opportunities
in the suburbs.

The bus system has also witnessed the blending of the two different
operating philosophies.  The west bus system was built around the
traditional Berlin double deck bus supported by German standard
buses.  The east bus system  made extensive of Ikarus articulated
and single unit buses.  Now the Ikarus buses are gone replaced by
large fleets of MAN and Mercedes buses.  Buses are freely assigned
across the city.  A new factor has been a fleet of MAN 50' 3 axle
single deck low floor buses in the series.

                    RIDING THE BERLIN NETWORK

DB S-BAHN: THE HISTORIC SUBURBAN THIRD RAIL NETWORK

Perhaps the most interesting part of the Berlin network is the DB-
S-Bahn third rail system dating back to the 1920's.  Electrified at
800 V dc, it has separate tracks on large sections of the railroad r/w
thru and around Berlin.  The heart of the system is the cross city
combined r/w  from Westkreuz passing Charlottenberg, Zoologischer
Garden, Tier-Garten, Lehrter Bahnhof, Friedrichstrass, Alexanderplatz,
Ostbahnhof, Warschauer Str to Ostkreuz.  Since re-unificationn,
this corridor is in the process of rehabilitation or rebuilding.  At the

prsent time, the S-Bahn section from Charlottenberg to Zoo is dug
up.  Substitute bus service ie being operated by BVG.  During this
rehab, S-Bahn trains from the east turn back at several stations
to avoid congeston at Zoo.

Basically the corridor consists of a 2 or 4 track S-Bahn r/w on the
north parallel to similar long distance tracks on the south side.
Stations have been rebuilt or rehabbed.  They are usually glass
enclosed train sheds, many with double platforms with 4 tracks each
for both S-Bahn and long distance trains.  Large commercial and
passenger areas occupy the surface space under the tracks and
platforms.  All quite modern and up to date.  This corridor really
crosses the city and offers very high levels of service and connectins.

S-Bahn cars were always favorites of EMU enthusiasts.  Distinctive
motor sounds and operating characteristics were the mark of the
1920's series of cars.  These had wood seats and semi-manual doors.
Next were more modern cars from the East German days and now
new class cars.

The S-Bahn lines used the vast network of lines thru and around
prewar Berlin.  Wartime destruction and the shift of the center
of the German rail network to western  Gemany left many
sections of the complicated system of flyovers and junctions vacant.
A ride on the S-Bahn became a ride thru history.

After World War II, the S-Bahn was given to the East German DR
rail system to operate.  This included lines in West Berlin.  The
lines were split at the zone borders except for a line thru the
city from south to north stopping at Friedrichstr where there was
a border entry for rail and S-Bahn passengers.  Highway and
pedestrian traffic entered the east at a surface Check Point Charlie.
The Friedrichstr station was divided up like an intenational airlines
arrival building with corridors walled off.  To enter East Berlin,
you surrended western marks and your passport and then sat on
a wooden bench, some times for hours, while they checked out
your passport, etc.  East Germany and communism at its best.

IN THE NEXT TRANSNET ISSUE: Part III will be continued
in Transnet #119 covering Berlin area tramways and a visit to
Rostock, a port city on the Baltic with a new tram subway.

HISTORIC REVIEW:  Deutsche Reichsbahn was 100 years old in 1935

In another era, German railroads celebrated the 100th anniversary of
their first rail line between Nurnberg and Furth.  Adolph Hitler and
the railroad went all out with a really very large public railroad
display including steam, diesel and electric power and other equipment
in Nurnberg,

The party emblem decorated locomotives similar to the
red star in communist countries.  Many of the steam locomotives
had streamlined shrouds.  The event became a major publicity
activity for Hitler coming just before his invasions of other nations.
The railroads and the nation were heavily destroyed during the war
following this dictator to the end.

A book published at the time authored by A. B. Gottwaldt had
many photos and exhibit track diagrams.  Included also were
summary speed tables showing sample running times and speeds.
Berlin Zoo-Hannover showed 254 km in 115 minutes for 132.6
km/h compared to 80 minutes today.  Another table showed
19,340 steam locomotives and 482 electric.

"VIVE LA DISCOUNT": Good prices this summer.  Rail Europe
has a 30 percent reduction on Eurostar fares between Paris and
London, 40 percent to 70 percent early bird discounts between
France and adjacent nations, A 50 percent summer special on
Thalys routes, and up to $130 off Eurail and EurailSelect pass
multiple country passes.  <www.raileurope.com>

Passes also available from Mercator Travel in Manhattan.  Phone
1-212-682-6979 or <[email-masked]>

VOLLMER ASSOCIATES   is to redesign the NYCT subway
station at 50th Street and 8th Ave.   The $25.7 million project
will be completed in 2009.  The station includes  two lower level
platforms used by E trains branching off to 53rd Street.

IN BOSTON, MBTA APPROVES DEAL ON ALLSTON TRACT

The MBTA approved a land-for-rail compromise continuing train
access through the property that will soon be sold to Harvard
University.  The Massachusetts Turnpike Authority proposed the
$75 million sale and the MBTA countered with an eminent domain
claim.  The compromise approved storage tracks and easements adjacent to
the commuter line to Framingham and Worcester.

READ ABOUT THE PROPOSED COLUMBUS, OHIO LRT

Check out their site: (North Corridor Light Rail Transit Project)
<http://www.morpc.org/web/departments/transportation/
transportationprojects/cotaproje>

ACE COMMUTER TRAIN TO BE OPERATED BY SJRRC.
The San Joaquin Regional Rail Commision will take over
responsibility for the Altamont Commuter Express from the
former operators.  ACE operates three trains each way between
Stockton and San Jose and carries about 1,500.  The route over
the Altamont Pass was once used by the Western Pacific
California Zephyr.  A beautiful ride with interesting connections.

THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES:  Bob Hope was 100 years
old on May 29, 2003.  Hollywood named a major intersection
Hope Square.  Bob Hope was a patriotic American.  He did
shows for multitudes of servicemen for decades.  Some of today's
Hollwood stars could learn a few lessons from his life. (Editor-
In the prime days of radio, I enjoyed the half hour comic programs
by Bob Hope, Red Skelton, Fred Allen and Jack Benny.  Bob
Hope's Road Show movies with Bing Crosby were hits.  You might
want to rent one for your family to see the great comedy of the past.
In the late 1980's, I finally attended a live Bob Hope show at a
casino in Atlantic City.  His wife (who was part of his act from
vaudeville days) and Rosemary Cloony (she appeared with him
on many of his war time trips) were there on the stage with him.)

LEHIGH VALLEY TRANSIT ENDED RAIL SERVICE 50 YEARS AGO

LVT, the local transit system in Allentown and Bethlehem ended
trolley service 50 years ago on June 8, 1953.  Bus service is now
operated by the Lehigh and Northampton Transit (LANTA).
Car #912 was the last local car to operate.  Previously, LVT had
ended Liberty Bell Limited interurban service to 69th Street
Philadelphia and the Easton Ltd interurban to Easton.  At a 730 PM
June 21 railfan meeting  at the LANTA 12th & Cumberland Street
garage photos will be displayed.  The public is invited.  Transnet
reader Gerhard Salomon and others will commemorate the event.

EVENTS

TWO SPECIAL NYCT SUBWAY EXCURSION WEEKENDS
                  June 29, 2003: IRT SMEE Trip
                  June 28, 2003: R 1/9 trip
$35 per trip.  Write NYCT subdivision C MOD trip, 1311 Waters
Place, room 221, The Bronx, NY  10461  (Checks to March of Dimes)

June 20, 2003: NY Division ERA meeting in lower Manhattan
June 27, 2003: CERA meeting in Chicago

July 12, 2003: BSRA meeting.  (note date change)

Starting June 30, 2003: NRHS & R&LHS Convention in Baltimore.
Contact <www.starspangledrails.org>

ERA Labor Day Convention in Toronto.  Still on.  Keep posted.

At age 77, the Delta Queen paddlewheeler keeps sailing,  Newly
acquired by Delaware North, a Buffalo Hotel chain, the Delta
Queen will sail again this summer along with sibling Mississippi
Queen and American Queen.  The Delta Queen started its service
in 1925 as a night boat between San Francisco and Sacramento.
After World War II service, the Delta Queen was acquired by
Greene Line steamers of Cincinnati.  ERA founder E Jay Quinby
joined in with a steam calliope from the sunken Water Queen.
Despite a bankruptcy and Federal regulations, the Delta is still
akive and well.  Take a cruise this summer. <www.deltaqueen.com>
(Editor:  I once sailed on the Delta Queen from Pittsburgh all the
way to the Emsworth, Pa. locks.  I have stayed several times
on The Delta King used as a hotel at Sacramento.  Interesting
experiences.

BOOKS

"MAKING THINGS WORK: PSEG'S FIRST CENTURY"
Soft cover, 10 X8.4, 127 pages.  The story of PSEG which included
a statewide electric railway system.  $15 plus $3 for Shipping.
Write New Jersey Transportation Heritage Center, 103 Dogwood
Lane, Berkeley Heights, NJ 07922. (Editor: I was born a block
away from PSNJ in North Bergen, Hudson County, NJ.  I grew
up with PSNJ during the war riding both the Hudson & Essex
Divisions.  The Newark City Subway had its roots with PSNJ.
>From the 1924 McGraw Electric Railway Directory: 846 miles
of track, 2298 cars (1796 closed, 502 open),  They later became
one of the nation's largest bus operators and pioneered dual power
"All Service" buses.  Al Craemer, a PSNJ executive and J. Smith,
Route 13 Newark supervisor served as mentors in my college
days at NYU.  They developed their own operating culture...for
example, employee passes were hung from hooks over the windshield.
Supervisors prepared the schedules and budgets for their own lines.
Garage managers were in charge of both maintenance and transportation
including route supervision and schedules.  Their names appeared
on the public timetables.

While very anti-streetcar, they provided a very high level of service
for decades.)

PERSONNEL CHANGES

     -      Jim Linthicum has joined the San Diego MTDB as
             Director of Engineering & Construction.  He managed
             the Fort Worth Tandy Subway for years.  Transnet wishes
             him well.  He contributed greatly to the success of the
             Fort Worth subway.   We wish him well in his new job.

     -      Thomas M Downs has joined the Eno Transportation
             Foundation as President and CEO.  Downs previously
             Director of the National Centetr for Smarth Growth
             at the University of Maryland, Chairman and CEO
             of Amtrak, and Board Chairman of New Jersey Transit.

     -       Robert Allen Schweim has joined Sacramento Regional
             Transit District as bus transportation manager.  He was\
             formerly ED of the Spokane Transit Authority.

DEATHS:

Gale "Ed" Vandeventer on June 5 at age 61.   Ed led SCRTD rail
operations during the Blue Line LRT construction and Red
Line subway planning.  He was a member of the Orange
Empire Railway Museum.  A memorial service will be held on
June 12 at St. Matthews Methodist Church in Haciena Heights.

William Goldsmith Rouse III on May 27, 2003.  The family was
prominent in urban development and shopping centers in the
Philadelphia area and other large cities.

MEMORIAL: June 6, 1944 -  D Day in Normandy, France.  US forces
made history at Omaha Beach.  21,000 Canadian's landed at nearby
Juno Beach.  We must remember that others have shared in our
sacrifices.

At a Memorial service at Colleville-Sur-Mer, France, a French
woman embraced a US Veteran, handed him a rose and said
"Merci Beaucoup" in thanks.   Iraq politics have dicated
strong words but the people of the world have even stronger
memories and words.

KEEP AMERICA  STRONG

HAROLD H GEISSENHEIMER
(971) 292 2916