Subject: TRANSNET #116
From: Harold Geissenheimer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 03:36:25 -0400

THIS IS TRANSNET #116, YOUR #1 TRANSIT NEWS SOURCE

        WELCOME TO TRANSNET #116

WAS THERE EVER A DOUBT?

The auto industry does not like transit.  Despite environmental
and energy benefits, GM Canada started an advertising campaign
in Vancouver alternative and campus news papers portraying
transit buses as catering to "creeps and weirdos".  Their ads
offered the Chevrolet Cavalier and Pontiac Sunfire as affordable
alternatives.  Following many complaints, they pulled the
advertisements and apologized for their "inappropriate nature".

Some of the ads mentioned "hours of hell". "bacterial stew" and
"wet dog smell".  The Greater Vancouver Transportation
Authority (TransLink) called the GM advertsements "harmful
to those promoting envirmentally responsible alternatives to
single-occupant vehicle use".  The ads were especially short sighted
because of Vancouver's large fleet of non-polluting ETB's and the
excellent SkyTrain rapid transit system.  Also many buses in Canada
were manufactured by GM Canada in London and then Quebec
or were equipped with Detroit diesel engines.  Vancover has one of
North America's best transit systems.

This was the second attack by GMC.  In 1999 they used the phrase
"The bus sucks" in ads aimed at graduating college students.
These ads highlight the extent of opposition to transit in our
auto oriented society by the GM auto-oil-rubber interests.  I always
purchased Chrysler-DeSoto-Dodge or Plymouth cars since my
first 1947 Plymouth.  Never a GMC.

Transnet readers may want to think up descriptions of the wasteful
and dangerous SUV's.  Its rediculous seeing a young person driving
these monsters on simple trips to a shopping center.

           LIGHT RAIL DEVELOPMENTS

             A BIG EVENT IN HOUSTON

Harris County Metropolitan Transit Authority presented their new
low floor Light Rail Car from Siemens.  On May 1, 2003, the MTA
unveiled the first of their 18 new 95' long low floor cars to 500
at the Bellfort Street METRORail yard.  The big event was presided
over by Houston Mayor Lee Brown, MTA Vice President of
Planning, Engineering and Construction John M Sedlak and Metro
President/CEO Shirley DeLibro.  Houston Mayor Lee Brown recalled the
history of the project.                                       "Its not
an easy task.   We've been sued, talked about, ridiculed, put on the
ballot                    and  guess what: We're going to have light
rail running down Main
Street".  John Sedlak said "We're creating a real urban environment,
a city and a downtown that people are going to desire to come to
and have real easy access to.  The public's going to have a very
positive reaction."

They had rock music blasting, strobe lights flashing and fog spraying as

workers removed a large white sheet covering the new car.  Hundreds
then moved to walk though the car and test the blue
upholstered seats.

"Its a dream come true" said Shitrley DeLibero, Metro President.
who was brought here by Brown to get the rail built after
decades of debate.  A band played the light rail theme, "A car is
born" and presented her with a gift bag filled with gags such as
brake fluid, glass cleaners, cleaning towels and a squeegee.

Metro is completing track installation from the South Park & Ride
to downtown.  The trains are scheduled to begin  on Jan 1, 2004.
The line is seven and a half miles long and will have 16 stations.

Siemens president and CEO Oliver Hauck added "Its designed
to be comfortable, to be safe, to be fast, to have lots of
innovation.  Its also designed to be sexy".

After the ceremony, Mayor Brown tested the driver's compartment
of car #101 which contained a plaque honoring his efforts after
many years of political fights.  Metro has released a $3.3 billion
transit plan last week that calls for four new light rail lines by 2025.

Voters will decide in November.  <www.ridemetro.org>

(Editor: The road to transit improvement in Houston has been
dificult.  I recall their first fleet of RTS buses where the complete
failure of the AC attracted industry wide attention.  I visited
several times with Alan F Kiepper after he transferred from Atlanta
along with B.G. Fort and C. White.  They brought the highest
standards to the bus system.  But the change to rail was long
delayed.  Various proposals including both rail and monorail
were victims of politics.  The light rail was opposed by a
member of the House from the area.  The forthcoming
November election will continue to put transit to the test.
As the mayor said, "Its not an easy task".

Its also good to see Shirley open the light rail.  I have met with
her in her assignments in Boston, Washington, Dallas and New
Jersey.  She went with me in both Chicago and San Francisco
to attend safety coffee's with drivers in the ready room.  She
was an excellent role model for the many young female drivers.

IN PHOENIX:  Valley Metro Rail will operate a light rail system
between four major Arizona cities.  The multi-city project
will connect Tempe, Mesa, Glendale and Phoenix.  The 20 mile
LRT system is in final design to open in 2006.

NEWS FROM THE LRTA "TRAMWAYS & URBAN TRANSIT"

AT THE BIRMINGHAM, UK, AIRPORT:  A new cable driven
SkyRail 11 million pound people mover started on March 7, 2003.
The new 585-metre line has a speed of 35 km/h and is similar to
a cable line at Las Vegas in operation since 1999.  The line has
a pair of two-car trains capable of carrying 1600 passengers per
hour between the International station and the passenger terminals.
The new line uses the concrete structures of the former Maglev line.

IN DUBLIN:  The LUAS LRT has started testing of the Alstom built
three section low floor articulated LRV.  The Sandyford-St Stephen"s
Green section is scheduled to be completed in March 2004 with
passenger service starting in June 2004.  Tallaght-Connolly will\follow
with completion in May 2004 and service in August 2004.  The
Alstom built cars are part of the Citadis family of LRV's.

FROM MILANO: Metrotramvia  is the word.  The tram fleet comprises some
400 cars including many of the 1930 Peter Witt streetcars.  In March
2002, transit operator ATM presented the
first of 58 low floor seven section single ended  Sirios units
ordered from Ansaldo-Breda. These are meant for new express
tram lines in striking green livery.  They are 35.5-m long and can
carry 285 passengers (71 seated) and are numbered in the 7100
series.  There are also 35 five section Sirios on order in the 7200
series for the circular tramline 29/30,  They also accepted the last
of 26 Eurotrams similar to Strasbourg with final assembly by Firema.
The Eurotrams are 5 section trams of the Adtrans (now Bombardier)
design.  There are also six-axle articulated cars from the 1960's for
circular services 29/30 and eight exle 4900 series new in the 1970's.

At present there are 16 tram lines (total length 171 km -106
miles),        three trolleybus lines (40 km-25 miles), 53 city bus
lines, 44 interurban
lines and three metro lines (69 km - 43 miles) with 84 metro stations.
Wihdrawn but perhaps to be included in future Metrotramvia routes
were two interurban rail lines to the north-west (24.7 km - 15.3 miles).

ESTONIAN CHARM:  Tallin, the capital city of Estonia, has built
a reputation as a hot tourist spot.  They have a 1067-mm (3'6")
tramway with a varied fleet of older Tatra cars (KT-4 and MU T4
PCC cars).  One KT-4 has a low floor center section by MCB in
Germany.  Many cars are painted an attractive blue & white scheme.
Finance for new cars is not yet available.

FRANCE:  The light rail line in Toulon is back on track.  Construction
could start in mid 2004 on an 18.3 km east west line with 37 stops.
In Valenciennes, utility work has started with major construction from
March 2004 to December 2005.  17 Citadis cars have been ordered
from Alstom to arrive by March 2006 with public service on June 16,
2006.  The 9.5 km line 1 will cost EUR 242.75 million.

FLASH:  Marseille is tendering for a new fleet of 5 section low floor
articulated cars for an expanded netwwork.  The designer has
presented a view of a very modernistic car shaped with the prow
of a boat reflecting the cities maritime heritage.  Marseille
still operates its fleet of well maintained MU PCC cars.

GERMANY: The combined operation in Essen, Mulheim and
Oberhausen known as MEO will start trading from May 1, 2003.
Ownership is 60/18/22 from the 3 cities.  A practical meger is
planned for October 1.  Oberhausen has the newest LRT system in
Germany.  In Rostock, a new 950 km tram subway under the HBF        was
to be opened on 11/12 April.  This is a delightful port city on the
Baltic.

VIENNA (WIEN) TRAMS:  The Hungarian city of Miskoic is replacing
some of its old four axle trams with used equipment from Vienna.
Car 182 was photographed at the rail station terminus of route 2
painted in attractive Vienna red and cream.  In Rotterdam, it is
expected that the ex-Vienna trams will not operate after the
introduction of summer schedules in June 2003.

VIETNAM:  Hanoi municipal authorities have given the green light
to the revival of the city's tram network with plans to open a four
line network starting in 2006.  The government will complete a
feasibility study and seek investment funding.

Contact <www.lrta.org> for subscription information.

          NEW GENERATION LRT OPENING DATES

DEFINITIONS:  As expected, my list of "New Generation" LRT's
in Transnet #115 has raised many comments.  Many involve the
definition of LRT.  In addition to my list of these new generation
LRT's, I listed some previous systems such as Boston, Shaker Heights,
Philadelphis, Newark, San Fancisco and  Pittsburgh.  Transnet
reader Van Wilkins writes that New Orleans should be included.
The St Charles line has a plaque stating that it dates to the 1830's.
It has many of the characteristics of light rail but operates historic
equipment.  The new Waterfront and Canal Street lines use new
equipment with modern trucks and electronics on older style bodies.
Kenosha's streetcar has the physical characteristics of a modern
light rail r/w but operates rehabilitated PCC's  Toronto has several
routes with light rail characteristics including a two station subway
to    Union Station and a new line on Spadina.  I have always said
that Light Rail can be whatever you want it to be.  There is no simple
set of rules.  Each of these other lines is indeed a Light Rail line.
I have never excluded them but my list in Transnet #114 was
designed to identify the openings of the new generation LRT lines.

Transnet reader John Schuman (LTK) has added to this list by including
recent and future openings of "new generation" LRT's.  His new
list supplemented by others is as follows:

          -          EDMONTON - 1978
          -          CALGARY -  1981
          -          SAN DIEGO - 1981
          -          BUFFALO - 1985
          -          PORTLAND - 1986
          -          SACRAMENTO - 1987
          -          SAN JOSE - 1987
          -          LOS ANGELES (Blue Line) - 1990
          -          BALTIMORE - 1992
          -          ST LOUIS - 1993
          -          DENVER -1994
          -          DALLAS - 1996
          -          SALT  LAKE CITY - 1999
          -          KENOSHA - 2000
          -          PORTLAND STREET CAR - 2000
          -          NEW JERSEY-HUDSON BERGEN LRT -2000
          -          PASADENA - SUMMER 2003
          -          TACOMA - LATER IN 2003
          -          SOUTHERN NJ DIESEL LRT -  LATER IN 2003

          FOLLOWED BY:
          -          HOUSTON (JAN 1, 2004)
          -          MINNNEAPOLIS - 2004
          -          PHOENIX - 2006
          -          CHARLOTTE - 2006
          -          SEATTLE - 2009

EDMONTON UPDATE

Transnet reader Robert Rynerson has added dates to the
development of the Edmonton system as follow:

          -           l978 - Central to Belvedere
          -           1981 - Belvedere to Clareview
          -           1983 -  Central to Corona
          -           198? -  Corona to Grandin (Govt Center)
          -           199? -  Grandin to University
Does any Transnet reader have the missing last two dates?

CALGARY UPDATE

>From "Passenger Transport" May 5, 2003

          -          May 21, 1981 - First 11 km section
          -          1985 - Second leg to the north east Whitehorn
station
          -          1987 - Third leg  west to the University of Calgary

          -          1990 - Extension to Brentwood
          -          2001 - An additional 3.6 km running south
                                from Anderson station to Fish Creek.
                                The DMU Regio Sprinter was tested
                                here before the decision was made to do
                                the LRT.  I rode the Regio Sprinter
                                during its one month test.  It did well.

                                I also tested this car on several lines
                                in Germany.

          Further extensions will be made to the northwest this year,
          to the south next year, and in 2006 to the north east.

          Calgary added 15 new SD 160 cars in 2001.  An additional
          17 new cars will arrive later this year bringing the fleet to
          116.  This year, C-Train will begin rehabilitating the
          downtown LRT and bus mall.

          In 2001, C-Train launched its "Ride the Wind" project
          to use wind -generated electricity.  This maks C-train
          100 percent emission free.  Congratulations on this growth
          and progress.

          The system encompasses 33 km of track, 33 stations and
          11,000 parking spaces.  C-Train now carries about 188,000
          riders daily.  The areas population is now nearing the million

          mark.

          (Editor:  I have visited Calgary often and was in contact
          with Bob Irwin, CT General Manager.  He is now President
          and CEO of BC Transit in Victoria.  An able transit
          professional.  Bob and I shared an interesting experience
          in London at the Earl's Court station several years ago.
          We had arrived separately on the Tube from Heathrow
          and were looking to find our way out when we met on
          the platform.  Its a small world.)

     MAGLEV TRAINS COME TO SHANGHAI

TRANSRAPID-a joint venture of Siemens, ThyssenKrupp and
Transrapid International, has delivered the first of three five-
section trains  that each can carry up to 574 passengers at
speeds up to 270 mph.  The line is expected to carry 10 million annual
passengers between the city center and the Pudong Internatinal
Airport, a distance of 19 miles.  The trip is expected to take eight
minutes on a ten minute headway.  Service should begin late this
year or early next year.

Meanwhile, Pittsburgh is investigating two maglev proposals, one
to the Airport, and another downtown.  Question? What is the
status of the Maryland proposal?

  BUDGET CRISIS AND FARE INCREASES IN MANY CITIES

PITTSBURGH UPDATE: FARE INCREASES AND SERVICE CUTS

The Port Authority has released more details on the proposed changes
to offset the loss of $10 million in state funds and an expected $19
million shortfall for the fiscal year starting July 1, 2003.  Fares
are                                        proposed to be increased to
$2 in the central zone with other fares
raised accordingly.

Cuts are proposed for 65 transit routes along with ending evening
service ay 9 PM, reducing Saturday service and eliminating all
Sunday service,  A public hearing will be held on May 21 at the
Lawrence Convention Center from Noon to 8 PM.

We do not comment on the various cuts which if implemented
would reduce public transit in Allegheny County to a new low.
The solutions are political and PAT CEO Paul Skoutelas has done
a good job in previously reducing costs and presenting the current
needs.

I have looked at the proposed cuts from a service point of view.
PAT has tried to equalize the cuts across the county.  Some of
lines affected are:

     -     LRT 42L Library:  Eliminate midday and evening service
           from Washington Jct to downtown.  Passengers transfer
           to LRT 42S.  LRT Phase II to open next year is not
           mentioned.  42L might serve this corridor.
     -     T Rail peak fares will be $2.55 in zone 1 and $3.15 in zone
2.
     -     Former Bigi route 41 Cedar Blvd cutback to Dormont
           Jct and transfer to LRT 42S
     -     Eliminate many routes.  In addition to the expected
           shuttle and subrban routes, main routes are also being
           cut.
     -     Some former Pgh Rys "Through bus routes" (Green sign)
           are eliminated including 17B Shadeland, 67H Squirrel Hill,
           and 77C Shadyside.
     -     Several main routes eliminated or consolidated including
           11F West View, 36B Virginia Manor, 37A Mt Lebanon and
           60 P Liberty-Port Vue among others.
     -     51 A Arlington Heights cutback to South Side, transfer
           to downtown.
     -     26A Ingram-Elliot consolidated with 26 D Chartiers City.
     -     1 A New Kensington consolidated with 91A.  New Kensington
           passengers rerouted by longer route on Butler Street.
     -     77A cut back to Oakmont.  Allegheny Valley hit hard.
     -     100 West Busway trips to Oakland eliminated

Many of these changes will in themselves reduce ridership and
then revenue.   Pittsburgh has a higher than average fare box
recovery rate.

The basic system built around the former street car routes seems to be
intact.   Service on Forbes, 5th, Centre, Penn, Liberty and the
East-MLK Busway are heavily used.

Allegheny County has 129 municipalities.  Many are quite
isolated which result in a duplication of service by normal
grid system standards.  It was these places that caused many
of the independents to start up, some as early as World War I.
Ridership to these locations has always been low but without
transit, these places would be really isolated.

This is a planning list.  There will be many changes but the cuts
indicate the size of the shortfall.  The problem is real.  Looking
back to 1964, government is walking away from public transit
in Allegheny County.  If this was their goal then, then they
should not have imposed higher wages and costs on the 31
independent bus lines.  The public wanted a consolidated system,
now its being decimated.  The poor and the elderly will be hit.
But so will rush hour commuters resulting in more traffic and
polution.  Money is being spent on capital expansion without
funds to operate the system in the first place.  We worked hard
from 1964 to 1976 to build the system but never had a dedicated
funding source.  For more information, <www.ridegold.com>

Similar cash shortfalls will affect SEPTA and the other smaller
systems in the state.  PENNDOT always had a more enlightened
transit program which will now be wasted.

The Philadelphia Inquirer reported the impacts on the smaller
systems.  Harrisburg's economies and cuts ranging from 3.7%
to 11.8%.  The Area Transportation Authority in Punxsutawney
has only enough cash in the 2004 budget - $3.6 million to
operate until next April.  The City of Williamsport,
population 59,000, is paring its City Bus budget from $2.9 million
to $2.7 million, raising fares from $1.25 to $1.35 and eliminating
midday and Saturday sevice.  About half of the system's 2,500
weekday riders have no other way to get around.

At the Federal level, FTA plans to cut off operating funds to two
systems that have had population growth.  The Lancaster area
population increased from 193,583 to 323,554 and the Reading
region grew from 186,583 to 240,250.  Despite the increased need
for transit with the larger populations, the federal government
plans to cut operating grants of, respectively, $500,000 and
$300,000 for fiscal year 2004.  Other systems serving metropolitan
areas with fewer than 200,000 remain eligible for federal
operating funds.

Else where, there are problems coast to coast.  For example,
VTA in San Jose has suffered a large loss in tax revenues and
has an uncertain future.

IN SHORT....THERE IS TROUBLE NATIONWIDE.

Supporters of urban transit and Amtrak have to reevalute their
budgets and funding.  There is a need for an increase in public
information programs and lobbying to explain transit's benefits
and needs.  Funding must be protected at the same time that
prudent economies can be made.

WE MUST MOVE ON THIS NOW.  If systems are forced to
cut, they may never regain.  General Manager Bill Nichols
in Williamsport sadly notes "All the good work we have
been doing and (now) we have to pull the plug"

UPDATE ON SEPTA SERVICE CUTS AND FARE INCREASE

SEPTA is facing a $55 million shortfall.  SEPTA GM Faye Moore
has proposed raising fares 10 cents while abandoning four regional
rail lines and dozens of city and suburban bus routes.  The R1 Airport,
R 8 Chestnut Hill West, Ridge-Broad St subway spur and the
popular C bus down Broad Street
are possible candidates for elimination.  SEPTA will hold five
public meetings ending with a May 19, 2003 meeting at the downtown
Convention Center at 11 a.m. and 5 p.m.

NEWS FLASH: A judge refused to delay the May 4, 2003 NYMTA
Subway fare increase.  He did schedule public hearings after the
increase goes in to discuss MTA fnances.  With the elimination of
tokens, former token booth clerks are now named station agents.

MTA commuter fares on MN and LIRR were increased 25% on
May 1, 2003. MTA has also increased the penalty for on-board
fares to $3 from $2, after rounding the price to the nearest dollar.

The Express Bus fare has been raised to $4.  MTA-NYCT Express
bus lines use mostly new 45' MCI cruiser buses on routes from
Staten Island, Brooklyn and Queens.  On Manhattan, recent
deliveries of 60' Articulated buses from New Flyer are rapidly
being deployed on 1st/2d Ave and 3/Lexington Ave.  Some years
ago the NYPowerAuthority suggested ETB buses for 1st/2d Ave.
These routes were formerly operated by the Second Ave Ry and
then East Side Omnibus.  East Side had large box Mack buses
from the 1930's painted red.  These routes were acquired by
New York City Transit in the late 1049's and operated as a separate
division.

                  FREE FLIGHTS TO TORONTO

Canadian budget airline Jetsgo has announced free fares to
Toronto from Newark to offset the SARS virus.  Contact
<www. jetsgo.net> for dates.  All part of a "Lets go to
Toronto" promotion including hotels. car rental and baseball.

   200 LOW FLOOR ARTICULATED BUSES FOR L.A. BRT

NABI has been awarded a $138.9 million contract for 200 CNG
powered buses for the LCMTA BRT network.  The new articulated
low floor vehicles model 60-BRT are of a rail like design with a
distinctive front end look.  NABI also has a 45' low floor 45C-LFW
high capacity bus.  Both are very attractive looking.  I like the 45'
design for a low floor bus to over come the loss of seats on a 40' bus
due to the large front wheel housing.  MCI has a 45' cruiser bus in New
York that makes New York turns with out incident.  Chicago Motor
Coach had 42' GMC old look buses in the late 1940's.  (Editor-
Mentioning Chicago Motor Coach reminds me of the fact that
the Chicago-New York double deck pusher buses from the late 1930's
were of a perfect low floor design forward of the rear axle.  Nothing
is really ever new!)   <www.nabiusa.com>

ECUADOR EXPANDS ETB BRT BUS WAY (From Metro Magazine)

The Quito ETB BRT system opened in 1996 with a fleet of 54 trolleybuses
(El Trole)  built by Hispano Carrocera SA in Zaragosa, Spain with
Adtranz electrical equipment and Kiepe current collection.
The estimated cost of the system is $57 million for the seven miles
with  39 high platform stations between Estacion Nord to Sud.
In June 2000 there was an Extension from Estacion Sud to
Moran Val Verde, a distance of 3.7 miles.  59 additional
Hispano bodied Mercedes-Benz trolley buses were acquired.

ALSTOM TO OVERHAUL 238 MARTA RAPID TRANSIT CARS

MARTA has awarded a $266 million  contract to refurbish these
cars at Alstom's Hornell, NY plant (Ex Erie RR).  I visited this
plant during the rebuilding of 600 CTA 2600 series cars.  Its
an excellent facility.

BOMBARDIER OPENS SFO AIRPORT APM

This six mile, nine station elevated line opened in March
This uses the former Westinghouse/Adtranz system, the
same as used at most US airports including Denver and Atlanta.
The system is manufactured at the West Miflin (Pittsburgh)
plant.  Its a follow on to the Westinghouse Skybus proposal
for Pittsburgh.

Also in Minneapolis, Bombardier is delivering 22 new articulated
LRV's for Metro's Hiawatha LRT.

BI STATE DEVELOPMENT AGENCY CHANGES NAME

According to Larry E Salci, Metro President and CEO, the
St Louis LRT and bus system has begun doing business as
Metro.  The name change is the final step that started 10 years
ago with the use of "Metrolink" on LRT and "MetroBus".
The LRT from the Airport thru downtown and into Illinois
is 34 miles long.  Contact <www.metrostlouis.org>

FRANCE TO ENGLAND RAIL COMMUTING

Discussions about commuting through the Eurotunnel have
raised interesting questions about taxation and inheritance.
A housing shortage in southeastern UK had suggested that
commuters could live in France and take the train to work in
the UK.  Present rules and regulations would be very expensive.
There are international commuters elsewhere.  In Geneva, I
found commuters crossing the border into France at the outer
end of the Tramway.  Local buses in Germany serve Holland
and Belguim as well.  Detroit and Windsor have international
commuters.

PITTSBURGH TO RECEIVE GILLIG BUSES

The Port Authority has received the first of  58 35' buses from Gillig.
They are also buying 165 40' buses from Gillig for delivery by
January 2004.  These are the first Gillig built buses for Pittsburgh.
I have observed Pittsburgh bus purchases since the 1960's.  They
started with GMC new look buses, AMG and RTS buses, MAN-AMG
articulated buses,  a Neoplan state wide order, MCI Classic
buses, MCI cruiser buses, NABI and Neoplan low floor buses.
A diversified fleet replaced many times over in 40 years.

Its interesting to note that SEPTA's late 1940's PCC cars are running
every day in San Francisco and that NJ Transit just retired a
similar aged group of PCC cars from the Twin Cities.  Our
industry should note the lower life-cycle capital costs of a rail car.
And in Europe, large fleets of Duewag and Tatra cars are being
recycled in Poland, Turkey, Roumania and other eastern countries.
Even the Netherlands has ex-Hannover and Vienna cars in service.
And Budapest has a very large fleet of ex-Hannover articulated cars.
These cars have many years of useable life and will serve their
riders well.  Makes you stop to think that a bus is not really a
low cost alternative.

CONGRATULATIONS TO SAN FRANCISCO MUNI

Metro Magazine has selected Muni as one of the 10 most improved
transit systems.  ED Michael Burns is proud of the change in
employee attitude.

        AIRPORT SECURITY MANNING REDUCED

Transnet has often commented on the rapid increase in TSA staff
despite the significant reduction in passengers and flights.  We believe

in adequate security but do not believe there is an open check book.
In Pittsburgh, TSA screeners were suddenly patroling the perimeter
of the airport.  In my opinion, not their job.

Now comes the reality of funding shortfalls.  The Federal budget
for 2004 requests $4.82 billion for TSA, more than $1 billion less
than it will spend in the current year.  TSA has responded with
proposing layoffs after members of Congress have requested
reductions.  Over 55,000 screeners were hired.  Now TSA proposes
to cut 6,000 of them.  At New York area airports, they propose
the following:
     -     Newark Liberty International: Cut 21%.  1,305 cut to 1,032.
           Newark handled 29.2 million passengers in 2002.
     -     Kennedy with 29.9 passengers cut from 1,739 to 1,397
     -     LaGuardia cut from 819 to 783
Overall, 6,000 will be cut nationwide.  Of the 55,000 hired, Congress
authorized 45,000.  It is not clear how the other 10,000 were funded.
The 6,000 cut still leaves 4,000 over the originally authorized 45,000.
TSA says there is some risk of lengthening the 10 minute delay at
checkpoints but will redeploy screeners to reduce delays.  A big
item in the work force involves the large electronic detection
systems that scan checked baggage.  Half the jobs will be eliminated
by May 31, with the rest by September 30.  TSA also rescinded a rule
that requires a law enforcement officer at every cheek point.

The NYC Daily News and the NJ Star Ledger had editorials about
the cuts.  They remain concerned about security.  I believe they
miss the point that TSA exceeded the Congressional authorization.
TSA says that security will be maintained but there may be longer
waits.  The taxes being paid by the passenger are rapidly increasing.
A round trip from Newburgh to San Jose had a $40 tax.  These
taxes hurt the airlines who are being encouraged to lower their
fares to attract riders.  TSA should be directed to protect passengers
with out driving the airlines out of business.

NOW A QUESTION:  Should this level of detail be in the papers
about the proposed cuts?  Will these stories encourage other
terrorists to act?  In World War II we did not inform the enemy
that convoys had less or more protection.  Is TSA giving out a political

story to preserve its position?  As ridership is cut, so should TSA.
TSA's eventual goal should be to go out of business.  When the
number of screeners exceed the airline crews, we are in deep trouble.

     NEWARK LIBERTY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

A new 325' high control tower  opened on May 4, 2003.  This is
the fifth control tower in the 75 year history of the Airport.
The tower cost $22.4 million and includes the latest electronic
equipment.  It is located to the rear of the Marriott hotel.

MORE ABOUT THE RAILROADS OF IRAQ

Iraq possessed two separate railroads at the time of their
original independence,  The standard gauge line ran north
from Baghdad through Mosul to the Syrian border. (See
"Murder on the Orient Express" which originated on this line).
The meter gauge line ran south from Baghdad to Basra.
Because the two systems were incompabile, until the 1960's cargo had
to be transloaded at Baghdad.  The Soviet Union helped extend the
standard gauge system to Basra, and by 1977 fully 1.129 kilometers
of Iraq's 1,589 kilometers of railroad were standard gauge.
By 1985, the total length of railroad lines had been extended to
2,029 kilometers of which 1.496 were standard gauge.

(Editor: Go to <1uptravel.com/country-guide-study/iraq/iraq59.html>
for more information of subsequent growth as well as details on
aviation, ports, etc.  The Iraq National Airline was started as
part of the their railroad.)

ABOUT NEWS REPORTING OF RAIL INCIDENTS

Newspaper articles often pick out the sensational.  For example,
a story in the San Diego Union Tribune on May 4, 2003 read
as follows:  "L.A. commuter train hits passenger car.  A packed Metro
Blue line train collided with a passenger car near downtown Sunday
morning, ripping open the silver Jetta sedan BUT CAUSING NO
INJURIES.   THE DRIVER AND SOLE OCCUPANT WAS ABLE
TO WALK AWAY.  ACCORDING TO WITNESSES, THE WOMEN
FAILED TO CLEAR THE RAIL TRACKS.  THE COMMUTER TRAIN
WAS NEAR THE END OF A 22 MILE RUN FROM LONG BEACH
RECEIVED ONLY MINOR DAMAGE" .  No mention that this was
a light rail train, not a (Metrolink) commuter train.  No mention
if she received a traffic citation.  No mention if she even had a valid
drivers license.  Light rail systems must work with the police to
see that drivers who run warnings or dont clear the tracks are
ticketed.  Auto drivers must be held accountable.  Its a problem
for freight railroads, Amtrak, commuter rail and light rail.
Freight railroads have had a  "Life Saver" campaign to educate
auto drivers.

NEW NJ TRANSIT BUS DEPOT FOR ATLANTIC CITY

The Star Ledger reported on May 4, 2003 that a developer will
acquire the present Atlantic City bus depot built back in 1997 at
a cost of $7.5 million to turn it into a Polo Jeans store as part
of "The Walk" development being built between the Convention
Center and the board walk.  The new terminal will cost about $7.8
million will be paid for by sales and luxury taxes collected by the
Casino Redevelopment Authority.  One NJT Board member
voted against it saying that "The way I see it, its money coming
from the taxpayers of the state of New Jersey that doesn't need
to be spent."  The new terminal will be 40 yards away at Atlantic
and Ohio replacing the present one at Atlantic & Michigan. About
175 buses and about 3,400 passengers use the terminal daily.
The terminal in recent years was in the former nearby PRSL
railroad station.  In these days of extreme budget shortfalls,
all parts of government must become more fiscally prudent.

ABOUT BUS ADVERTISING AND THE ROLE OF WRAP

I AGREE: The May 2003 issue of Metro Magazine has an
interesting article on bus advertising.  During the past five years,
DeCamp Bus Lines (connecting Essex County, NJ with New York
City), the company has earned an average of $150,000 per
year in additional revenue without any added out-of-pocket costs.
50 of 80 commuter coaches are equipped with king size exterior
ads.  The ads are not placed on DeCamps charter bus fleet as
DeCamp believes charter passengers dont want ads.  .

DeCamp does not use full bus wraps because DeCamp wishes to
keep the integrity of its name.  Nor do DeCamp ads cover the
bus windows.  I agree.  Putting ads over the windows blocks
passenger viewing.  In Pittsburgh, in the "mod era" of the 1970's
we never blocked out the window areas.  W had lots of
innovative paint styles and advertising but never cut off the
passengers view.

(Editor: DeCamp is a premier bus operator dating to the 1930's.
Service and maintenance is excellent.  I recall their well maintained
fleet of Yellow Coach suburbans with cushion seats and their Herald
Sq bus terminal.  DeCamp operates a reverse commute from New York
City to the ABB and Systra Bloomfield offices on Broad Street.)

GERMAN BUS HIJACKING:  A city bus in Bremen was hijacked
by a 17 year old Lebanese gunman and driven 75 miles on the
autobahn to near Hanover on April 25.  The gunman gave up
without any injuries.

NEW DAIMLERCHRYSLER WEB SITE: <www.dcbusna.com>

NEW FLYER WEB SITE: <WWW.newflyer.com>

EVENTS:

     -     June 7, 2003: BSRA-Program by Harold H Geissenheimer
            "What is Light Rail".

     -     June 14,  2003: NY Division-ERA testimonial dinner
           for Harold H. Geissenheimer

     -     June 8-12, 2003: APTA Rail Transit Conference in San Jose

     -     June 21-22, 2003: Blue Mountain Railroad excurions from
           Hagerstown.  For information, call 1-301-739-4665

     -     June 22, 2003: BART opening of the SFO extension.  This
            extension is a $1.5 billion, four station, 8.7 mile project.

            Many events are planned.  For example, BART showed off
            its new station at Millbrae on May 2, 2003.  This station
            will connect BART, Caltrain and Samtrans.

     -      NY Division-ERA: June 20, 2003
            CERA: June 27, 2003.

     -     October 26-28, 2003: Bus Con 2003 in Las Vegas.
           Contact <www.busconexpo.com>

DEATHS:

     -     Mel Seidenberg on April 29, 2003 in Pittsburgh.  Noted
           writer, historian, news reporter and community relations
           specialist for public agencies.  Mel retired from the Port
           Authority of Alleghency County's media relations
           department in 1985.  Mel helped John Mauro present
           his transit improvement program.  A good friend and
           associate.  He contributed much to the Pittsburgh
           Renaissance.  He will be missed.

TRANSIT IS GOOD FOR THE NATION.  TRY IT TODAY.

                     KEEP AMERICA STRONG

                 HAROLD H GEISSENHEIMER
                           1-973-292-2916